Have you ever seen one of those shorts where someone films someone in the gym and laughs at their floundering around, completely out of their depth, then Joey Swoll or someone comes in and says something along the lines of don't ridicule this pathetic sack of meat, at least they're having a go.
That is me after the five day Epic Beginner by Caroline Girvan. As I said to The Chap, I am not really physically capable of this at the moment. Yet here we are.
(I'm not going to keep banging on about this, exercise is not my identity)
The five day beginner series is the lead into the 10 week Epic series proper, I am not ready for that in the slightest, so I was heartened at the end of day five when a wee caption popped up saying if you're not ready to move on, do this as many times as you like. My week went something like this -
Day one - lower body, very crampy in my tight hip
Day two - upper body, have you seen David Byrne dance in Stop Making Sense? It was like that, only without the talent
Day three - abs and core, heard of them, never met
Day four - dumbbells, an absolute delight, I was so happy to pick up a weight after picking up my own weight for three days. Might have to stop using my kettlebell as a doorstop.
Day five - HIIT, slightly less crampy in my tight hip, slightly more red in the face This week has actually been great for my hip and ankle (same leg) because I've been motivated to do the exercises I'm supposed to do for them.
I can't say I didn't enjoy it despite everything. The workouts are around half an hour and weirdly they pass quickly, probably because there's no time to think about anything. Most importantly for me I'm not in that state where it hurts to sit down, or stand up, or exist afterwards, it's just done.
Two beautiful days of rest ahead, which will certainly be featuring a scone.
I can relate to the pleasure of lifting weights as opposed to lifting your own body. I have non existent core strength.
ReplyDeleteThe shaking!
DeleteI decided long ago that the only exercise I was capable of doing was walking and even that can be a slight problem lately.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Whenever it's an option a walk is a great thing
DeleteYou have my complete admiration, as I can't manage any sort of equipment. All I can manage to do is put one foot in front of another :)
ReplyDeleteAnd you have my complete admiration for getting out and about up those hills
Delete