The Tedious Bit

 During the marginally cooler parts of the day I have started the courtyard extension project. A few very sad, bedraggled plants have been moved - hey, they're dying anyway, at least moving them out of the unrelenting sun gives them a chance. 

I've also started to empty the gabions. 


It is not a fun task in the slightest. 


Imagine my relief when, after removing the top layer of stones, I could see we had packed the centre of the basket with some metal grids. These grids used to form the upper levels of the housing when we had rabbits, amazing how in less than a year I'd forgotten we'd repurposed them for this project. It will save a lot of time and effort, but there is still a fair bit of time and effort to be spent.

I think I've decided that the courtyard planting will be mainly herbs. They'll enjoy the sun, they're soft - ideal next to a seating area, delicious of course, easy to maintain, and generally behave themselves in terms of shape. Dotted around I have fennel - which I may not use here, sage, chives, a few types of thyme, chamomile, oregano, lemon balm, wild basil, hyssop and rosemary. There's also a bay at the bottom of the garden, but maybe that will stay where it is, it seems happy in its part-shade location. 

This is a very simple project, but I think it's going to take quite some time. 


Comments