Read, Ate, Bought, Did - July

I'd been really looking forward to reading Cut Out by Michele Roberts. 



I don't finish this book. I have a feeling that not enjoying this book would result in people thinking it's to do with my uncultured palate (how someone I know explained my dislike of olives). Lyrical is how the writing is described in every single review I saw for this book, and yes, it certainly drifted around. I can see why people may like it, but although Denis may have been unearthing secrets his mother had, I genuinely didn't care enough to find out what they were.

The new recipe experiment continued, at the start of the month anyway. Towards the end of the month I focused on using things up.


This M&S chipotle paste went down particularly well, mainly used for tacos, something we hadn't eaten for a good few years.

After sharing all the things I thought about but didn't buy I did buy some clothing, out of necessity. On a trip out I tore my trousers! Thankfully we were in a town centre so I headed off to find something to see me through the day and into the evening. 


I went for this denim maxi skirt from New Look, which was in the sale for £17.99. Massive pockets, perfect for stashing all my bits and bobs so I didn't have to take a bag into the venue. I actually really enjoyed wearing it, so it should be making a regular appearance over the summer. 

The month fell into one of two things - either The Chap was working, including weekends and evenings, or we were watching some live music, that's how it felt anyway. Started the month at Lytham Festival, nipped over to Halifax to see David Byrne (the third time we'd seen his show this year, and the best). There were a  couple of things in Blackpool, the highlight of which was a free event at the Opera House featuring the Halle Orchestra, KT Tunstall, Jack Savoretti and others as part of the bid for City of Culture 2029* and the announcement of a David Bowie exhibition at Showtown museum next year (if you love Blackpool and you feel so inclined then you can Back The Bid it takes about 30 seconds). 

Another month has passed by in a flash. Goodbye July, you were all about music.


*No, Blackpool isn't a city, I don't know why things are as they are, take it up with the DCMS.


Comments

  1. Sounds like a busy month. I keep meaning to go to the V&A Warehouse on the Olympic Park and see some of David Bowie's costumes, they might be on loan for the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is part of that exhibition. I think it's going up to Dundee then going to Blackpool. I also keep meaning to visit the V&A Warehouse, but the calendar is filling up!

      Delete
  2. The denim skirt looks fab and definitely handy for all sorts of places with those deep pockets. :) Sharon ~ Sunshine 🌞 and celandines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I never know what treats and treasures I might pick up on my travels

      Delete

Post a Comment

Each to their own goes without saying.