I See Your Value Now

 You can't rejig a garden without disturbing some soil.

One side effect of that is an abundance of weeds, all those plants that love disturbed ground. While I don't mind the odd wildflower/weed here and there, when it's time to pull them out there's a lot of bare soil.

And that is how I came to understand the value of annuals, more specifically not just throwing seeds onto the ground and hoping for the best, as I do, but sowing things in trays, growing them on, and being excited about seed catalogues. When the spring stuff goes into the compost, the summer things come out of the greenhouse (not that I have a greenhouse) and pop neatly into the gaps. Very sensible. I'm not joining the cult of dahlias though, they seem like faff.


I was gifted a plant last week - Senecio Angel Wings. I do like silver foliage, but this isn't really something that slots neatly into my "scheme", so it's in a pot, something else I don't use much in the garden. It actually looks pretty in the courtyard and is giving me a few ideas to style that area in a little more of a romantic way. 

Comments

  1. You're much better than me - I don't even have a scheme :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Each to their own goes without saying.