Sunday, 22 October 2017

In With The Old

I saw a notice from the Town Council the other day informing me about the Victorian weekend that we, like many towns, have just before the festive period. To go along with this there is a window competition, judged by the Mayor. We do usually enter (although I've never had anything to do with it) I don't know if we'll apply this year as the manager doesn't seem amazingly keen on things like this, but I hope we do (even though the fancy fabric shop always wins these things). 

But it got me thinking about what we might do, and in that way the mind wanders, it reminded me of an unfinished cross stitch I had in the fabric bag. It must be at least 12 years since I last did anything with it, and it was finished other than half of the border. So yesterday, as we drank tea and watched Soccer Saturday I decided to get on with it. Of course I didn't have the same shade of green to finish the border, but thanks to the huge amount of embroidery floss Dan brought over from his grandmother's house I found something that was not-too-bad. 



It took a little while, so Dan kindly made our evening meal (delicious), but I finished it, then left it to soak for a few hours as it smelled very musty after having been at the bottom of a bag for years.  






Cross stitch doesn't really fit in with the style of the house, but I thought about some other pictures we have - one of a rabbit, a print of some trees, and a couple of other things, when they're all framed nicely they can hang together in the spare room, I think it will look good. 

In the end, it was a very nice way to get through a wet and windy afternoon, especially as we'd come home with half a box of chocolates when we visited Dan's mum on Friday evening, who could ask for more?

If anyone has any very simple Victorian costume ideas I'd be very grateful to hear them. I'm not a massive fan of the sewing machine but I do have one, and I also have a glue gun, but other than that there will be no budget at all for this potential project!

14 comments:

  1. Lovely sampler. Good luck with the Victorian themed window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't really believe I did something so detailed! It was back when we were paying our debts off so I had plenty of time.

      With the window I've decided it's not actually up to me. If it's mentioned by either manager then I'll do it (if it's my job to do so) otherwise it's not my problem.

      Delete
  2. Glue some flowers on to a straw hat or a cheap felt hat. Long skirt, blouse and a shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, straw hats are something we have plenty of in the shop.

      Delete
  3. The embroidery is just lovely, well done. I wouldn't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can't really believe I had the patience either!

      Delete
  4. That is really nice and will look good framed and on the wall rather than lying forgotten in your bag. My daughters did a sampler cross stitch for their grandma years ago - when she died it came back to me and I have it now to put up - just finding the right place for it - sometimes a different frame helps tie a picture into a room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do have a couple of other things needing to be framed, so if I get them all done at the same time I can make sure everything looks good together.

      Delete
  5. Pleasedon't put that beautiful sampler in the spare room?! It deserves to be seen every day to celebrate the amount of work you have put into it. We were booked to come for the Victorian weekend but as we have no caravan, we won't be coming after all. Why don't you reverse the idea of a fancy lady/maid and go as a chimney sweep/baker/ cook/ flower seller etc and you may find that easier to find a costume for. I hate fancy dress so usually do something unexpected and unglamorous if I can. Where's the fancy fabric shop? I must have missed that one-lol. Happy week. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spare room is my favourite room in the house! It's where all my favourite/ special things go, and we do sleep in there a fair bit so it won't be forgotten!

      The fabric shop is more a curtains and bedding shop than a craft shop, so you have't missed anything, but it is on the corner of Wood St and St Andrew's Rd.

      I actually love the idea of going for the more everyday costumes rather than something fancy - we are an everyday shop after all.

      Delete
  6. Lovely cross stitch. Once framed it will look lovely on a wall in your home.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, I'm really pleased with it.

      Delete
  7. The words simple and no budget didn't compute with me when it comes to Victorian, hehe! My outfit which I made for an event, which included dress, bag, hand muff, cape and hat, cost me, wait for it, about £200 to make and it was anything but simple. The dress fabric was so heavy it all but broke the carrier bag handles! You can see the end result here - http://follybird.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/more-victoriana.html

    Beautiful cross stitch xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no, window dressing and no budget don't compute really either, but that's where I am!

      Delete