Thursday, 12 October 2017

In The Fridge

A month ago we replaced our fridge freezer with an undercounter fridge so I thought I'd let you know how we're getting on with it. 

We love it!

The main reason is that the fridge is now in the main part of the kitchen, rather than the dining area. This makes getting stuff in and out of the fridge far easier, although I do occasionally still walk to where the fridge freezer used to stand. It also looks better, it's not a lovely integrated device but it makes the dining area (which is not huge) feel more spacious. We put our shelving unit in there and I'm getting used to it, at first I thought it was a bit wood upon wood upon wood in there but it's not too bad now.

We are also really enjoying not having a freezer in general, the fridge has a small icebox, and we had agreed that if the need arose we could buy a small chest freezer for the garage, but it's been fine so far. 

When I emptied the old freezer I noticed there was a lot of stash and dash items in there, meals or ingredients I'd shoved in there because I didn't want to eat them or throw them away, or things we'd bought for the sake of keeping the freezer full in the name of power efficiency. It turns out that for the two of us the ice box is big enough for the kind of things we use all the time. 

The fridge itself is probably a third smaller than our old one, but there's plenty of space for our needs


In the ice box we currently have limes, a batch of pitta, some falafel type things, ice, two ice packs (they are there as a space saver and can be taken out if needed), some frozen veg - including 1/2 a butternut squash, ice cubes, and peas. 



All nicely tucked away.

It wasn't our choice to buy the fridge at this time, but I'm really glad we did, it's moved the house on so much. Which reminds me, the bathroom guy is coming on Saturday, I've decided that I do want to replace the bath with a shower after all so he's coming to help us firm up our ideas. 

8 comments:

  1. Its amazing how little freezer space we really do need and yet most people have a huge freezer myself included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought a standard fridge freezer when we had a new kitchen fitted in our old house, really because that's what we had space for, it was just by default really, I didn't even consider we would have anything else!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are happy with your choice of fridge it is hard to preempt what you might need and how you might use something before you comit but I think you adapt to what you have anyway over time. It looks similar to the one we have installed at the caravan and we are very happy with ours. We debated whether we needed the freezer bit and would it defrost in time when we were going home as we don't leave it on. I am glad we did have the freezing compartment though it is handy for a few bits of frozen food which tend to be a bag of peas, some part baked potatoes and a pack of Sainsbury's Nut Cutlets for the week and the ice packs are kept frozen for the cool bag on the journey home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree, you do adapt over time. When we were forced to make a decision the choice was clear - it was more important to us to regain the space in the dining area than it was to have a large appliance again.

      A few reviews of our fridge did mention that it was a great size for a caravan so it possibly is the same model, I think for when you're out and about being able to have some ice packs is great.

      Delete
  3. I have a three drawer freezer below our fridge and I would still forget what was in there if I didn't check it on a weekly basis when I do my shopping list and menu plan. It gets a bit tight when we're harvesting garden produce, but I am always amazed just how much it can take if you pack it carefully. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a three drawer freezer before, and for two just the two of us it was far too much. I might feel differently if I grew fruit or veg but it's not something we do these days.

      Delete
  4. I am a TERRIBLE one for putting things into the freezer to die (I.e. out of sight, out of mind! Well done for knowing that what you need is what you now have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of sight, out of mind is exactly right. It was a surprisingly hard decision for something so small, but it's been great so far.

      Delete