Friday, 20 October 2017

I'm On The Phone

Kezzie posted about technology the other day and I realised I felt more strongly about it than I thought. the charging hole (?) on my phone became damaged so I upgraded earlier this year, and ended up with a fancier phone and a larger data allowance for not much more money (I still pay less than £20 per month). I know I am behind the times, my own mother laughs at me for not being on whatsapp, snapchat and instagram, my older niece and nephew roll their eyes at me whenever they ask what games I have too. 

So, I decided to use more of the features on my phone and it has been brilliant so far. I love lists (who doesn't?) but I dislike having paper hanging about the place. So Dan suggested I start using Keep, it's AMAZING! I can keep all my notes, recipe ideas, pantry and grocery lists right there, edit them easily and know I'll never forget to to take them with me. Notes that are active are highlighted in different colours, and notes I want to keep but don't need to stand out are just in black and white. So simple, so useful. Speaking of simple, the calculator and timers are in daily use and it means there are two items I don't need to keep just for a single job now.

Castbox is my other most used app, mainly to listen to Gretchen Rubin, but it's good for finding other podcasts too. Chromecast, for tv, rabbit videos, and James Tarkowski interviews. It's YouTube, but on my telly, magical. 

I don't like to have my phone in the bedroom, but I do like to wind down with some relaxing sea sounds - during the summer we just open the window but I love the sound of a pebble beach and we don't have that here. If you ever meet me and want to shut me up then just play some sea sounds and I'll be asleep in about two minutes. 

Then there's the camera, the nice size screen, the phonebook that's easy to edit (not the case with my last phone), the maps that updated quickly enough to let us know we'd be ok to trundle home on the motorway when the clutch went the other week, and of course Toby Ziegler gifs.

6 comments:

  1. I have never got into phones and maybe never will - it might be because it just seems such a faff. I suppose one day I might have to but at the moment I am still content to live without. I have todoist on my computer and I update a list to print out once a week but I have been thinking of going back to just writing the list on paper as I can write little notes and doodles on paper. Glad you are finding some benefit though - perhaps I'll come for lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it to be a very simple, useful tool for many things, if I'm cooking I don't need a timer, cookbook and radio to help me along, I just need one thing. Setting things up as I like it took a bit of time, but not difficult - very much like setting up a desk, everyone needs different things to hand and likes them ordered in a different way, but everything is there to get the job done.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I broke down and got a new phone, too. Don't know how I lasted so long without it! Glad you are enjoying yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're getting the benefit of yours too. I think there's a lot of snobbery around phones, people resist them from some sense of "I managed before, I can manage now" type of thing. They're a tool, like washing machines, cars, and tv's - not many tv owners still watching in black and white.

      I also take a lot from the older ladies I volunteer with, most shun technology, but one lady who is 91 years old knows about phones, apps and the rest even though she doesn't use them. She says keeping up with the knowledge, even if not the application, of new things is important, it keeps her connected to the world at large and to her grand children and great-grandchildren - she's still current and not "just" an old lady, if that makes sense.

      Delete
  3. Our youngest son is always giving me a rough time about the cell phone I own. I told him all I want it for is emergency calls (or calls when we are traveling), and texts. I may break down and get another one a year or two down the road.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't give MIL a hard time, but she pays £10 per month for her non-smartphone and that pays for her texts, until I got my new phone I had a smartphone for £12.99 a month (which wasn't the cheapest) and could do so many of the things she thinks are great - like sending emails, sharing pictures and GIFs (her favourite thing), and play games (her second favourite thing) but she can't do because she's scared of the technology.

      Delete