Thursday, 14 September 2017

Disorganised

I am never busy. I just don't really have that much that I need to do on a certain day or to a deadline. Turns out that's exactly what I have this week. 

We went to see the comedian Stewart Lee last night and something he said forced Dan to have a realisation. Our friend Em (she of the record player and huge amounts of chocolate) is nearly 40, and by nearly I mean in 8 days. I'd been making a quilt for her but Dan suggested it might be nice to send it as a special birthday gift along with some other things. That doesn't sound too bad, but she lives in Germany, so less time for sewing. So this morning I have had the sewing machine out. It didn't start off well.


First block I started, sewn back to front. I also forgot how to refill the bobbin - mind totally blank, YouTube to the rescue! But I made progress in the end.


This is not the first time this has happened with this particular friend, there was the mammoth sewing session just before the winter festival last year too. I think I might have to take over birthday remembering duties! 

Du to a couple of other things the house has been very neglected this week and it is a total tip. Not just a couple of things out of place, a total disgrace - laundry spilling out of the basket, dishes not put away, fabric everywhere, hay strewn about the place. And I remembered to bring the display cubes home from the shop, so they're in the way too. Not one of my better ideas for this week. 

We also want to have a quiet weekend so I'm dashing round town this afternoon to pick up the other bits of Em's gift, plus a gift for my niece and something else that I can't remember at the moment. I know I could do it online, but we have so many independent shops in the town these days that it seems rude to not use them. Plus it will get me away from the sewing machine for a while. 

I also bought Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin (£1.99 on Kindle), judging by how thrown out I am this week it's in good time, my habits certainly need a makeover.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that quilt is impressive. Love the beautiful choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've actually found this really difficult as the fabrics are not my taste at all so I have been unable to decide whether it looks nice or not! Now the top is done I am pleased with it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt, as always. Lovely pressie.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. I wouldn't usually give something like this as a gift, but I think it will be appreciated. I am not tempted to do it on a regular basis!

      Delete
  3. Back it with fleece for a quick finish and then tie quilt it as it's for a grown up. Binding on and the job's a good 'un-lol. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius idea! I couldn't find any fleece I liked but I am just using one piece of fabric for the back. I would never have thought of tying but that's just what I'm going to do, thanks.

      Delete
  4. That quilt is so lovely - we all miss things though haha!

    https://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie. I think I need a diary!

      Delete
  5. Have been here myself and then wondered why I didn't start something earlier and why I always think I have enough time - I always get things done though - perhaps I need that stress to make me move!
    Gorgeous quilt what a lucky friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I thought I had until Christmas to get it finished, but it will be a nice birthday gift for a big birthday.

      Delete
  6. I bought Better than Before in a charity shop but I can't quite bring myself to read it for fear that it will put the spotlight on my bad habits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book really talks about developing good habits rather than telling us how bad our current habits are! She also discusses her own approach to various aspects of her life which makes it far less preachy and self help-like than the title may suggest.

      Delete