Friday, 4 August 2017

Freebie and Bargain of the Week

This has been a week of long lists. We received the first quote for the bathroom, it was about what we expected, but when we had a chat about it we agreed that there was just something about the man that we just weren't quite happy with. Dan has spoken to someone else, who comes with a recommendation from a work colleague, he sounds right up our street, but wouldn't be able to fit us in until January. Dan is especially keen so I have agreed that if he can fit us in then I am (just, after some persuasion) prepared to wait. 

Having said that I have said I'm not prepared to not make any headway with the rest of the house while we wait, so we've started a list and we're each going to prioritise our version then we'll see what rises to the top! Nothing to do with freebies or bargains but it has taken up a lot of my brain space. 

I'm still working through the contents of the freezer and am making headway, today is a cooking day as we're going to Lytham for the 80's v 90's night of Lytham Festival, then tomorrow we're going to a football match so I want to have our meals ready. On the menu is a lentil pasta sauce, soup, nut roast and I'm going to make pie with some lentil and mushroom pie filling plus pastry that are both in the freezer. 

As you know I am not the owner of a new vase but I did pick up a couple of books from the charity shop. Firstly a home book, maybe it will give me a few ideas for our housey revamp.


And a novel, I've seen this popping up all over the place, lots of people I know are talking about it, so I was surprised when it turned up at the shop as I'm guessing it's a fairly recent release. 


The books were 99p each.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I can pass them on afterwards or take them back to the shop so more people can enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. We've just decided to put our kitchen renovation on hold. Building costs are rising at the moment and we want to concentrate on paying off the mortgage. Instead, we are going to start redecorating parts of the house, as they are desperately in need of it. We've put everything off until the kitchen was done, but now at least we can get started getting on with some of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just like us, everything was on hold until we'd had work done on the bathroom, but now, as long as we don't spend that money we can move things on elsewhere. The bathroom does need doing as we still have plastic covering the damaged tiles that have lead to leaks into the kitchen, but we can deal with all the problems, and I don't mind waiting as long as I know the end is in sight.

      Delete
  3. We waited 10 months for the builder who did our extension and it was worth the wait. If someone is available quickly, it's always wise to ask yourself why that is. I'm with Dan on waiting and with you on the cracking n with other things. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for taking time to leave a comment.

      You make an excellent point, having to wait for someone is a sign they are great at their job. Were it not for the unattractive plastic covering the damaged areas of the bathroom I don't think it would bother me at all.

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous you got Eleanor Oliphant.. for 99p - I'm still on the waiting list for it at the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised to see it at the shop, it seems quite new. Hopefully I'll read it quickly so I can pass it on. I've just found out our library has had to close unexpectedly for some essential work, who knows when it will reopen, or what I do with my books in the meantime!

      Delete
  5. Always best to go with a recommendation. Loving the bargain books xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's so difficult to know who to choose, I just hope this person comes back to us and agrees a time. I don't know what we'll do otherwise.

      Delete
  6. We had plastic bags taped over our tiles in the bathroom for a few years before we eventually had the time to sort it. However it was well worth waiting for now we have a bathroom I don't mind visitors using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing someone else has been there makes me feel so much better! Thank you so much!

      Delete