Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Buying And Eating - August

We're working our way through the freezer at the moment which is great and there is now some space in there, I've also been cooking up all the bits and bobs that have been in the pantry for a while. But not the giant cous cous, that I just can't face, Dan doesn't mind it though so I think I'll make a roast veg salad with it for him to take to work next week.  

The weather has also been all over the place, as I'm sure it has been for a lot of people, so I've been making a few more autumnal meals. Last week I made myself some soup with green lentils, spinach, dried mushrooms, and a single portion of pasta that was hanging around. It was actually delicious and served me for a few lunchtimes. 




As I've been using things up we've been eating a lot of leftovers, so there's not that much to see this week. I also made a batch of curried roast veg and lentil soup, which always goes down well. I have been shopping a little bit too, although I really am trying to cut down, it's a bit of an addiction.



We've been to Waitrose a couple of times over the past few weeks as we've used the John Lewis click and collect service for a few things for the house. There are some good yellow stickers to be had. We picked up some reduced pak choi (the white bunny's favourite), courgettes,and bread (not pictured). I went a little grapefruit crazy. 



The guacamole from M&S was not a bargain but I really like it every now and then. 





More reduced bread, reasonably priced vegetables and a couple of other bits and bobs (also potatoes, unpictured). I have cut down my Home Bargains habit over the past few weeks, that's a bonus. 



The other day, before going shopping, it turned out I only had one potato left, so I sliced it up, coated it in paprika and stuck it in the oven then served it with some sweet mini peppers (from Aldi) stuffed with tomatoey lentils, and some roast veg. There's some v-pud hidden under the peppers too. 



It was cool and wet again on Sunday, so I made a stew with lentils, butterbeans and some sweet potato and butternut squash from the freezer, topped with the rest of the v-pud and served with some mash. I made lots of this, so we'll be eating it today and probably tomorrow too. It's hearty but still light enough for summer. We don't have mash all that often so I very much enjoyed it.

I think we're going to be staying in this weekend so hopefully Dan will get back to breadmaking, he's certainly making noises about it It would refill the freezer but not in a way that means things would loiter around for months on end. 

6 comments:

  1. I firmly believe guacamole is essential to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garden is not producing very well this year, though I may have carrots to freeze. Still I do need to do the same as you and eat down the freezer a bit more.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame about your garden. I think it's still a good exercise to go through the freezer to make sure everything is used up isn't it.

      Delete
  3. I'm doing the same and craving warm food at the minute - I've been loving burgers, sausage and mash and corn on the cob - all pretty autumnal but definitely matching the weather.

    https://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzie. I know just what you mean. A salad just isn't the same in this wet weather!

      Delete