Monday, 7 August 2017

Black And Blue

It was a little bit of an odd weekend, we had plans to attend two events and we didn't see either of them through to the end. We left Lytham Festival after only a couple of hours because we found it a bit boring. Then on Saturday we went to watch a football match, the match was abandoned due to crowd trouble - a section of the away fans ran at home fans in the same stand then started throwing seats. In that particular stand the seats are made of wood, so it's no joke. I've never seen anything like it, and I have been to lots of sporting events. 

So we thought it would be safest to stay at home on Sunday and start to tackle the front bedroom! I love the front bedroom, it's so cosy but we wanted to up the cosy levels. This room has probably had the least amount of new stuff of anywhere in the house. Other than a few cushions, a mattress and a blanket everything in the room came with us from the old house or has just been taken from other rooms here, not that it's a bad thing, we just wanted to pull things together a bit more. 


 

We bought a new mirror for the main bedroom, so I propped this charity shop mirror (£2.99) up near the bottle garden and put the spare blankets into a box we had in the garage, the brown blanket was a gift from my parents when they went to Mexico many years ago. 

The sideboard came from my parents house, you know how you pick up these things when you move into your first house, it was dark wood, I painted it blue. I just need a frame for the print then it can go up on the wall. 




The wooden church was made for me and was sent by a friend I met online a long time ago, it came all the way from Canada. The little pots were a couple of quid from the charity shop and hold my quilting pins and other sewing notions.


We bought this print from the same place we bought the new mirror, Dan wasn't convinced at first but now it's up he loves it! On the opposite wall we used a few bits of my embroidery, just tucked into a corner.


And I can't believe it's a year since I finished the big bedspread! 


The carpet is a bit very stinky in places so that will be leaving the building soon and we're hoping to get a get a new bed, the one we have is not in great condition and is a little bit big for the room, we'll see about that though. 

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with your updating endeavours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I was a bit worried about you when I read about Saturday's events.
    The room is looking great and I love what you did with your embroidery work. It looks fab positioned together like that. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It seemed a shame to just leave the embroidery in the sideboard, when we brought home all the craft stuff from the house clearance there were lots of embroidery hoops so it seemed sensible to use them.

      Luckily we were not in the same stand as the trouble, and I'm very glad. I hear a steward was injured as was a member of the police. On the way into town we'd seen the Hannover fans kept together in one pub with mounted police blocking the entrance, so we were expecting a bit of aggro, but nothing like that.

      Delete
  3. Your church is lovely. Did you know it's a bird house? Very typical Canadian design with the round hole for the entrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks yes I did know it is a bird house, when my friend sent it over we didn't have a garden so I used it to decorate the house. Then I liked it so much indoors that I kept it even though we have a garden now.

      It's nice to learn it's a traditional Canadian design though, I didn't know that.

      Delete
  4. I like what you have done with the embroidery hoops. When clearing out my dad's house I came across a lot of hoops of different sizes. What you have done is giving me ideas.

    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have seen embroidery hoops used in this way before and wasn't sure about it, but why would I buy frames when I can use what I already have. There are so many benefits to using them too, they're light and easy to fit and move around into position as well as keeping the fabric in the correct place.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it shocking that sporting events are spoiled for the majority by hooligans! Glad you were safe. I really like how you are developing your spare bedroom using gifted and thrifted items. My favourite part is the display of your embroidery-genius idea and what a lucky find getting all those hoops. The blankets in the box are a lovely idea too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have honestly never seen anything like it, I've had things shouted at me before now but never anything like this. I thought it was something we'd left behind long ago. Apparently the German police arrested the thugs at the airport.

      Thank you for your kind words about the room, it's actually lots of fun to hunt around the house finding things to fit.

      Delete
  6. What a shame the festival wasn't doing it for you. I don't suppose the weather helped.
    Awful about the footie violence. My brother went to Hannover to see a game earlier this year and, as always. was really impressed with the welcome he got from German football fans and how well the game was run.
    Your room looks lovely, the quilt is gorgeous and the embroidery hoops look great. I love the ceramic cow! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The saddest part was that other Hannover fans felt the need to take to social media to apologise for the actions of a few, of course we know not everyone is like that. (Plus parts of the media jumping to the conclusion that it was the English fans causing the trouble).

      We've had the cow for ages, it's from Cow Parade in Manchester back in 2004, it's call Cow-bernet Sauvignon!

      Delete