Thursday, 13 July 2017

Thursday Power Hour

Things that can be done at any time are frequently left undone.

This sentence could pretty much have summed up my life recently. I'm at home most of the time so I rarely have pressure to get things done at a certain time, I can come and go as I please, but for someone like me that can be a recipe for disaster. 

A little while ago I started having a Thursday power hour, in my case it's a power morning but hour sounds better due to rhyming, I don't think it rhymes when Dan says it but it does when I do. Plus, he'd never saying a phrase like that unless he was mocking me. In my house a power hour isn't the drinking game, although it does sound like fun, but the Gretchen Rubin idea to take one hour per week to do all those little tasks that never seem to make it to the top of the to-do list. I love it. For naturally organised people it's probably not a big deal, for me whose natural state is to be all over the show it's great.

It's also the day I've chosen to not exercise so it's great to have an active day planned, I also choose Thursdays to be the day I have things delivered, make appointments and plan anything that needs to be planned. It gets things out of the way all in one go. The extra added bonus of this is that when I am waiting in for a delivery, workman or whatever I don't get that feeling that I'm just hanging around, waiting, but even waiting isn't all that bad anymore with tracking and receiving a text telling me my one-hour slot. 

The kind of things I do include - minor repairs or DIY jobs (touching up paint, sticking things back together, finally replacing that whatever that's been hanging around for months), garden stuff such as dividing plants, moving things around, any paperwork, phonecalls or important emails (not that I have much of that), snipping herbs and actually getting them into the freezer before they're beyond. That kind of thing, alone these things aren't very much at all, but when they're done life is just better




14 comments:

  1. I've recently been trying to bite off those pesky tasks in short, fast increments. I like the power hour phrase-motivating, if a little cheesy. He can mick me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cheesy, but it's positive. In George Costanza spirit I'm doing the opposite at the moment, normally I'd roll my eyes at something like that but for now I'm going with it and seeing great results.

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea. I seem to be all over the place at the moment since moving, a great way to get on top of the to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you're pulled in all directions!

      Delete
  3. I think I may need a power hour in my life. Big jobs I am pretty good at getting completed, the little jobs not so much.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Jackie. It's like those home makeover shows where there's nothing big wrong with the place, it's just the dozens of tiny tasks that were left, then forgotten that add up to a mess. A power hour can blast through the little things and make a nice difference to how things run.

      Delete
  4. That's such a good idea. I think I may have unknowingly taken part yesterday. The sense of achievement from completing the menial tasks was wonderful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real mood lifter isn't it. It's surprising how draining these tiny things nag at us when we leave them day after day.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of a power hour - I think I might have to implement it! I have the same problem as you, things get put off, I only work half a week so I always think I'll have time to do things but never actually get round to it! My mum and her sister have a 'Friday Tidy'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Friday tidy too, but that's more to get the house tidy and the floors as hay-free as they ever are, it follows on nicely from the Thursday Power Hour.

      Give a power hour a go, you might be so efficient it doesn't take that long!

      Delete
  6. It sounds a bloomin excellent idea! I really need to be doing flute practice at the moment, so I have taken to leaving my flute set up on a flute stand so I see it and practice it! It's small things that help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sensible, they do say "out of sight, out of mind" after all.

      Delete
  7. Thursday is my choice too - I work 1-9 pm, so I have the morning for errands and all those stray tasks. It is nice to knock off a few things before work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's great to return home knowing that there are no things to be done before getting started on the evening routine.

      Delete