Wednesday, 26 July 2017

Slowly The Ball Rolls

I have made so many changes that are so small they would be invisible to the untrained eye. 

Cellulose cloths for example. I bought them in the spirit of being more environmentally conscious, they don't work for us, so today I'm heading out to buy some washing up sponges. It turns out Dan was right, having a cloth flapping around for days before being washed is not nice at all (I only wash two or three loads each week so kitchen cloths might be in a basket for a while). And the amount of times things have had to be rewashed was ridiculous, although I realise that this is probably just a case of a bad workman blaming their tools. Plus,  when I see how much excess and waste passes through the shop every single week I find it a little harder to tie myself in knots over the matter. 

Laundry liquid. This is a mixed one in hindsight. I'd been using soapnuts for a year and still hadn't made up my mind about them, so I bought some laundry liquid and offered the nuts to someone else. The first load I did with the liquid was the first time in a year Dan's tricky t-shirt had that smell, you know that weird musty smell. It's only ever this one t-shirt, what is it made of? Plus the smell of the liquid was overpowering even though I was using 1/4 of the stated dose, wow. 

No menu planning. Can't decide about this either. I don't think it's made things harder really, but I have possibly been over buying. Certainly cooking if my waistline is anything to go by!

Switching to working on Wednesday mornings, undecided about this too. Looking out of the window at the rain today makes me think leaving the house is a very bad idea. Being home in the early afternoon, and removing the obligation of going for coffee every now and again is a very good thing indeed. 

In thoroughly good news a bathroom man came to the house last night for a session of tutting and measuring, we'll see how scary the quote is next week. He's off on his boat for the rest of the week to count swans. I liked him far more than I thought I would after learning about the swans, animal lovers are welcome here.

8 comments:

  1. I have tried not menu planning for a couple of weeks and I have found that we don't waste nearly as much food as leftovers are part of the next days meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, it's easier to include leftovers or excess veg into meals when there's no plan. Two things I've noticed is that it's been easier to adapt to the changeable weather we've been having, and lots of things have gone into the freezer in order to stop waste. I'm working through the freezer contents now as I don't want things to get lost in the icy depths!

      Delete
  2. I've gone back to using regular laundry liquid as I like the smell of it and clothes just feel fresher to me when I use it, rather than more smelly when I use the eco versions. I know it's not great, but sometimes needs must, especially in the heat of the summer. I might consider going back to the eco laundry liquid in the cooler/winter months, when I don't get so hot and sweaty.

    Working in a CS has definitely opened my eyes to the amount of waste that humans, as a species generate. We are fortunate in being able to facilitate much of it being repurposed or rehomed, but it changes the way you think about stuff and the acquiring of it. I hardly buy anything now compared to what I used to.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it does change the way you think about things. I think there's nothing sadder than receiving the contents of a house clearance and seeing all the treasured possessions that had never or rarely been used. It stopped me keeping things for best, I'd rather use things, even if that means they'll wear out or break.

      Delete
  3. I go back and forth quite often on changes. I, sometimes end up going back to doing things the old way as I find it really was the best. I wouldn't know that unless I had tried something different.

    Hope the quote isn't too high on the bathroom.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent point, if we don't try we'll never know!

      Delete
  4. I think that laundry detergent is more scented than ever before. I am guessing it's because a lot of front-load washing machines use very little water and leave clothes smelling less than fresh.

    I don't save anything "for good" any more for the same reason as you. It will all end up in a charity shop someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, I hadn't thought about the water saving aspect of things.

      Delete