Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Now

Over the past little while I've been making some changes, and a key to this has been to strike while the iron's hot, although that hasn't extended to actual ironing. Ironing happens most when I'm making a quilt - the board is up most of the time so what's a few extra bits when there's so much pressing to be done?

As I think I mentioned, I have been listening to the Happier podcast and it has helped me to get so much done. One of my very favourite happiness hacks was to start reading a new book as soon as I've finished the current one. Simple but great advice for someone who can go a long time between reads. The Kindle is now my number one buddy, hmmm, maybe number two after my new phone and I have read so much in the past month. It also helps that we went to an event in Lancaster, part of the writing festival, where we heard Ian Martin (a writer and so-called swearing consultant for the tv show The Thick of It). His book Epic Space  was loaded onto my little friend before we'd left the building.

We've had to move lightly since we moved here, we'd only been in this house for 6 weeks when the 2010 election took place and since then we've been paying redundancy roulette with each wave of government cuts, so we've been a bit scared to make any big spending decisions, just in case we need the money for extravagant things like eating and keeping warm. 

But even moving lightly we can move differently and doing something now, while the iron's hot has been a very good thing. If I think it's a good idea to tackle a small task then I do it there and then, and it's been working out well. When it's sunny I've been out in the garden, rather than waiting for the weekend or some other undefined time. Yesterday I ran all my little errands - post office, library, walk on the beach, look for the few odd things on the shopping list - and it was the right choice, today it's chilly and damp, not really tramping around with heavy bags weather at all, even if I had the motivation, which I do not. 

So, yeah, doing stuff is good, it gets stuff done, and without getting wet.

Speaking of which we still haven't sorted out someone to do the bathroom. This week, I promise. 

11 comments:

  1. My husband loves his kindle but I still favour holding a proper book for some reason. I must admit of late I am not getting a lot of reading done, work on the cottage seems always to take priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine most things are om the backburner while you settle into your new place.

      I would never have bought a Kindle for myself, but it was passed in to me when Dan's stepdad died and I love it. But I know lots of people have a real connection with printed books and prefer them. The books I read on the Kindle are just ones I want to read, rather than architecture or design books where it just have to be a paper copy to enjoy all the pictures.

      Delete
  2. Even I - who reads books for a living - can fall out of the habit of just getting on with devouring books. But you know, when I do, it's true: it makes me so happy!

    Currently reading The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts. Dizzyingly clever stuff. The opening chapter is both funny and horrific. Loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell out of reading after university and just never bothered to get round to rediscovering the habit. The Kindle has really helped me slow my reading down and just get back into the habit - easy to read lying down, light, never lose my place, no skipping ahead to see what happens at the end etc.

      Delete
  3. I read Gretchen's book the Happiness project a number of years ago - still have it and always intended to read it again as I remember I really enjoyed it - glad you're finding her advice useful and feeling you are getting somewhere. I know what you mean about redundancy roulette - these governments play with peoples lives and in my mind have a lot to answer for - stability is what we need - I feel we have been plunged into a dark hole at the moment - sorry rant over - your post hit a bit of a chord!!
    Whilst I am here typing I will just mention that before my hols I couldn't access your site - it said by invitation only - and now it is back - did I dream this?? I did miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I did take the blog down for about a week. It was in the middle of my existential crisis where I just thought "what's the point" then I realised there was no point other than just doing it so I started up again quickly.

      Sorry to hear you too understand the job situation, it's the same for lots of people isn't it and it's not nice at all. I know we are still better off than many but you are so right not having stability is unpleasant.

      Delete
    2. Not just me then!

      Very glad you're back!

      Delete
    3. I am so glad you got over the "whats the point" crisis quickly - I for one would have been devastated should you have stopped blogging - I really enjoy reading your day to day life.

      Delete
    4. Thank you both, that's very kind of you to say.

      Delete
  4. Tackling a small task every day is a great idea.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great for me. I think it's so easy to fall into that all or nothing mindset that small things are ignored. But one thing that keeps cropping up in my life recently - from Gretchen Rubin to the cyclist Mark Cavendish is that doing something every day, not matter how small, is better than doing a lot of something occasionally. Just what I needed to hear.

      Delete