Wednesday, 31 May 2017

Out With The Old

I don't know if anyone else has things that really need to go away but never quite make it out of the door. I faced mine today. The new food processor is so much more chunky than the old one so living in the pantry isn't really an option. My pantry has to work hard, storing many different types of things so one item that's a bit bigger can throw lots of other things out.

In the kitchen there's a cupboard that I know I've spoken about before, it's a daft shape as it forms part of the breakfast bar but also runs down the side of the washing machine, so although it's a big cupboard more than half of it is fairly hard to access. 


It mainly houses my Pyrex and stuff like that, but it's always messy. I moved the lids into the big Ikea wooden box thing that now lives in the pantry mainly to use as an extra shelf but also to store things we only use occasionally.


So I decided to swap the trays, that don't get that much use, with the food processor that I use multiple times per week.



The blender jug has to live on its side, which isn't ideal, but there's no other option. The two dishes on the right at the top are usually in the fridge but I have no salad at the moment. There's also room for the salad spinner, which is currently in the fridge.


A small amount of jiggling made room for the trays, you can just make out the storage box underneath with lots of tins on top. It also meant I could clear out a couple of things to take to the charity shop.



A teapot a work colleague picked up thinking Dan would like it. We're never going to use it and it's not going to go on display, so lovely as it is it has to go. 



A butter dish, again a lovely thing, but we don't eat butter.



A slow cooker. I just don't use it, I'm a tweaker, I like to taste things as they're coming along, so leaving the lid on and not touching it just isn't for me. I think I've used this once a year for the past few years, more for the sake of it than anything else, someone else will love it. It's another thing someone gave to us that's now out of the door, there is a very strong theme with my decluttering!

19 comments:

  1. I think we all have items that loiter! They just become part of the furniture.

    I must say, that teapot is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so beautiful, it would be better living with someone who would use it though :(

      I know we don't have a lot of stuff, but sometimes all I can see is junk!

      Delete
  2. I need to purge again items not used. You did a great job deciding what fits your life. I use a slow cooker all the time but still have no good storage spot. It's challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's so easy to just ignore things because they're stored away but then the time comes that they just have to move!

      Delete
  3. Well done. I did some fabric decluttering yesterday, and felt good afterwards when I saw the clear space that was left. But I couldn't give up my slow cooker, it's too useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't know what it is with the slow cooker, I used to absolutely love mine but I've just stopped, I know someone else will be over the moon with it though.

      Delete
  4. everything in my kitchen has to earn its place, things I use a lot like the kenwood and food processor live on the work top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I don't have that much space at all. I'd really struggle without the pantry. I would love to keep the food processor on the worktop but I just don't have the space.

      Delete
  5. Good for you decluttering, we had years worth of clutter to get rid of prior to our move and downsizing too meant even more things had to go once we got here. I am determined not to hoard things I don't use or want but how long that will last remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my big declutter years ago, but you more than many know how life changes and that something that was ideal years ago is redundant now.

      Delete
  6. It's great when you get your kitchen and house working for you, so that everything you use is so easily to hand and you eliminate the excess. What I can't get my head around is why it has taken me over 10 years to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, it's so good mentally as well as physically to get hold of the house, but it can take a while to really hit it head on.

      Delete
  7. It's nice to know someone else will be able to make good use of your decluttered items. I've been thinking of having a clear out myself. My rule being if it hasn't been used in the last twelve months then it's going. I don't like (or have room for) clutter in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Me either, my kitchen/dining space is a nice size, but the layout is terrible, I can't even have the fridge freezer in the main kitchen area.

      Delete
  8. It's good to get rid of things if they are gathering dust, as it were! I would like a slow cooker but I think I prefer tweaking the cooking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow cookers can be great, but I've just changed the way I cook so it would be better housed with someone else.

      Delete
  9. Our oldest son bought me a "soup maker" for Christmas a couple of years ago. It is stored in a cupboard and never been used. I think I may just have to donate it, once I get over the fact that it was a gift from him.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you make an excellent point, time and again the things I find myself donating are things people have given to me. It's hard to get over the fact that it was a gift from a loved one, because I don't want them to waste their money and I don't want to have that uncomfortable conversation if they mention the item in question.

      Delete