Monday, 1 May 2017

Music To My Ears

What a weekend. We started on a high on Friday when it was reported that Guinness is now suitable for vegans and things got better from there. Burnley bagged their first away win of the season on Saturday evening, I was given a picture of a volcano as drawn by my niece, had a lie in until as late as 8.10 am, Line Of Duty (obviously), houmous is back on the shelves, and we had a lovely time with lots of people - both friends and strangers. Who can ask for more?


You might have seen in the background of some of my pictures my radio. When our friend Em came over from Germany a couple of years ago this was her gift, she'd carried it over in her hand luggage. Her Dad repairs and refurbishes old radios etc as a hobby and he wanted to give one to us. 

On Friday a friend for the radio turned up, again refurbished by Em's Dad and sent to us with love. 


A record player! This model was produced between 1967-69 so it's the perfect age for our house (built 1968). The design is gorgeous and everything is just delightful, and of course it works beautifully.



It's a perfect fit too, we couldn't have asked for more. Yet more was what we got! When you're sending something delicate you have to pack things carefully and what is better packaging material than orange napkins and food?


Savoury treats for us and the buns


chewy sweets, including some unicorn jellies! Biscuits (they're like Rich Tea biscuits with a chocolate filling) and of course my absolute favourite Vego bars, there were four but we gave one to my brother who was very happy to receive it. 

It looks like a little rejig of the menu plan is in order as I can't wait to try the mushroom sauce. 

19 comments:

  1. What generous gifts! The radio is a beauty and the record player is very stylish too. I think were we to have the room, I'd love a stereogram like my nan used to have. I love technology that masquerades as furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like radiograms too, we did talk about getting one for a while but then the shelving unit came into our lives! The radio is beautiful and has a lovely tone to it.

      Delete
  2. Radiogram! Not stereogram 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very lucky brother, I don't share Vego with anyone! What a lovely radio. I love the wooden ones from the 30's and 40's myself. Everything is soft touch and digital these days and it's very unsatisfying x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean, it was Dan's idea not mine and it was his birthday so I suppose I could extend a little generosity!

      30's and 40's style isn't for me, but I agree with you that the wood and the dials of those radios are gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. I love your new record player, looks fab on your shelving unit. A lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great gift that record player is lovely and how exciting to get all the vegan goodies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beauty isn't it. Em's Dad was particularly excited to have permission to go shopping for bits and bobs! Em sends the best vegan goodies, she always sends Vego after we mentioned how expensive they are here, she's a star.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely friend you have.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the absolute best, along with her husband and parents who were all part of this!

      Delete
  7. What a great gift. I love to listen to LPs whilst crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll start doing that too.

      Delete
  8. What lovely gifts!! The record player will be well used I am sure.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will, we have all our records read to go!

      Delete
  9. Wow I am so envious of that record player - so stylish. We have LP's from our college days but only a record player my hubby made mounted on chipboard - not very decorative so lives in the loft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have one after being without for a few years, the fact that it looks great is a massive bonus!

      Delete
  10. What great gifts, I think I like the first radio the best, very retro :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The radio is great, it gives off a beautiful light when it's switched on too.

      Delete