Skip to main content

Home Bargains - Top Ten

I've seen a lot of love for the shop Home Bargains recently so I thought I'd share my top ten favourite things. I was going to do a vlog but honestly I'm just too squeaky in the voice department.

I shop here a lot mainly because I pass on my way home from the charity shop, there are loads of good things to be had but these are the things we have in all the time. In no particular order



1. Dried fruit. We eat dried fruit every day, especially dates, this is Dan's favourite brand, 89p for 500g.



2. Seeds. We use these a lot too, mainly at breakfast time, but also in salads and as a snack. 225g ground linseed approx. £1.50, 200g chia seeds also around £1.50, 125g pumpkin seeds 79p.



3. Cleaning paste. I love this stuff, it's what I used to remove the rust marks from our bath and the chrome legs of our dining table plus all manner of other tasks about the place, costs about £1.



4. Assorted jars of stuff for sauces. Cheap, cheerful, I'm not a gourmet so I can't tell the difference between these and the fancy ones Less than £2 per jar.



5. Nuts. We also eat a lot of these. I do buy larger bags from elsewhere but I always have these. 200g mixed nuts £1.79/ 200g walnut halves £1.89.



6. Noodles. I usually buy big bags of these from the Chinese supermarket but if we've not been for a while I buy these, around 59p for 200g.



7. Brown basmati rice 1kg £1.



8. Chickpeas. We eat tons of these, 400g tin, 29p



9. Menu board, 99p including a pack of chalk, I use this every day.



10. Treats! These date hearts and orange flavour chocolate were 19p each, I also love the coconut Ruffle bars, I think they're 5 bars for 89p. There's always a little something there so I have to use my willpower!

I buy lots of other things like wraps, tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, cleaning products, stationery etc, but these are the things you'll always find in my pantry. 

Comments

  1. You've got some very good food bargains here. I don't often buy much food from Home Bargains, but I think I should take a closer look next time I'm in there as some of the things you've mentioned here I buy regularly elsewhere and probably pay a lot more for them. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth a look around, I benefit a lot from a group on facebook that shows off any exciting finds in all manner of shops, Home Bargains is very popular!

      Delete
  2. Another fan of Home Bargains here too. I find it very good value for many things and buy similar items to you. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been in Home Bargains. It looks like I should! Just googled where my nearest one is. Have good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some bargains should you ever visit!

      Delete
  4. I love Home Bargains, I find things in there much cheaper than the supermarkets, we have one 5 mins walking distance from us, very handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's such a good variety of thing there, I'm sure there must be lots of goodies I've missed. Ours is quite small, but I know some have fridges too.

      Delete
  5. I love Home Bargains but don't get to one very often. We only have Heron Foods and Poundstretcher in our town BUT we are getting a Home Bargains about 4 bus stops away in a couple of months. I am most excited! I usually buy the same kind of stuff as you but I've not tried that cleaning product before so I will be looking out for that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the other way, we don't have Heron or Poundstretcher. I've had some good buys when I have managed to get to Heron/Cooltrader, last time there was Oatly cream and Food Doctor grains, can't be bad!

      Delete
  6. I have to admit the downside to living on a remote island is the lack of shops, I do miss Home Bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But just think of how excited you'll be if you do have occasion to visit one again!

      Delete
  7. We have just started shopping in home bargains, we got loads of great priced things for our camper van, we have not yet looked around the food section, but it's always busy in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I didn't even touch on homewares and things like that. Enjoy your camper!

      Delete
  8. Nuts of any kind make my mouth water, but I try to resist as they add a lot to body weight. Perhaps when I reach my weight goal, I'll allow myself a few, not before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean, I have a little pot that's just a serving size and I measure nuts out into that, if I didn't exercise a little portion control it would be very dangerous!

      Delete
  9. Those are excellent prices. We don't have a Home Bargains here, but now I wish we did.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we have one in the town, we don't really have many budget places, although Aldi opened last year which is useful.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great place to shop. We don't have any of the thrifty food shops in our town as yet, but I have seen this one when I've been away. We enjoy most of the things you've shown so would be worth me investigating. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth a visit should you ever see one. There are some products available all the time and others are special buys.

      Delete
  11. The Home Bargains in Walsall is terrible - nothing remotely healthy on their food shelves, no wonder we're one of the fattest town in the UK! Luckily the West Bromwich store is just 4 miles down the road and is great.
    I love their seeds and nuts. Their Indian food is good, too. I noticed several Asian families filling their baskets with the garlic naans and bought a couple myself, they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ours is getting better for healthy foods, there's a lot of junk in there too. I used to love the naan from there, and a great price at 49p. Recently my store started to stock a different brand and they're no longer suitable for vegans, another job for Dan then!

      Delete
  12. Oooooh, the Vermicelli!!! I can only get it in a place I can't get to regularly and so I am DELIGHTED because a Home Bargains JUST opened opposite my school! I shall be in there asap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My store has only recently started stocking these and I was a bit too happy about it! The big Sainsbury's we go to sells them too, but they're much cheaper at Home Bargains.

      Delete
  13. I love home bargains, but I do always buy loads of treat stuff because they are so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, sometimes I just have to avoid the treat aisle, but it's right next to the fruit and nuts so I just have to display some willpower (not my strong point).

      Delete
  14. I love Home Bargains, great for cheap vegan food and treats. I love their toilet rolls too. Have a good holiday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I've been reading about all manner of bargains recently - quinoa for 39p etc, but none at my local. Oh well!

      Delete

Post a Comment