Sunday, 16 April 2017

April Week Two


I splashed out a bit for our anniversary meal which might blow our £100 grocery budget this month, oh well, I should have taken that into account in the first place. 

We've filled in the forms to reclaim the £10 for the football tickets. Speaking of which, high praise for Merseyside Transport. To get to Goodison we decided to take the train from Ormskirk to Kirkdale then walk to the ground, but we then found out about Soccerbus a service that runs from Sandhills station the ground (it also runs when Liverpool are at home). Parking at Ormskirk station was free, the ticket for the 30 minute train journey (it's more of a tram really) and the connecting bus was £5.20 each, absolutely fantastic value and an excellent service. 

We socked some money into savings and that's about it financially speaking. 

I went through my wardrobe again and decluttered some buying mistakes. I do not suit t-shirts, and I don't suit white, so a white t-shirt had to go. One of the black and white skirts I love but I always have trouble with the lining and zip so I frequently look bulbous, as a consequence I never wear it, gone. The other two skirts I bought from charity shops and they were just mistakes. I really need to stop buying things from charity shops, more and more they're just things I don't wear much. Having said that the t-shirt and the bottom skirt were from real shops.









A few things we've eaten this week, it was a bit junk foody.
 

Sweet chilli noodles with cashews, panko coated mushrooms and half a spicy Quorn patty/ TVP patty with chips, guacamole and a beany rice salad. The chips were 72p from Aldi, very nice. 


Lots of smoothies. This one is banana, (frozen) cherry, flax and almond drink/ Grilled mushroom, falafel , spicy potatoes. 



For our football picnic I made an unpictured yet tasty leek and cauliflower soup to use up the 29p bargains and pictured above is the before and after of our pasties. These are just cooked and mashed Ikea veggie balls wrapped in puff pastry. So glad I made these as everyone at the ground was enjoying a scouse pie, they smelled amazing!



 


14 comments:

  1. Always love the food pictures and the vegetable pastie idea is pure genius. Shame about the football result. As I type I'm making some leek and potato soup from some of the vegetable bargains.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Those Ikea veggie balls are brilliant to keep in the freezer for all manner of things.

      I can't say I was disappointed with the result, my prediction was 3-1, but to fall for those two quick goals was a bit of a let down, it was a really good performance though. Really looking forward to next Sunday - United at home!

      Delete
  2. That smoothie looks amazing. It's OK to have a junky week once in a while!

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you've enjoyed some tasty treats this week! :)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a little bit different but lovely for a change.

      Delete
  4. Do you keep the pasties earm, or just eat cold on your football days? I had an expensive week, have one this week as eell, so need to up out good savings game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep them in an insulated bag so they're generally warm-ish by the time we eat them, occasionally we have them cold though. We tend to have soup too so if the pasties are cold it doesn't matter too much.

      Delete
  5. It is always the same with money you win some you lose some. With all the money you have saved on those bargains what better way to treat yourself than to an anniversary meal.
    Those pasties look really nice and great for picnics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love pastry so a pasty is always welcome when we take a picnic.

      Delete
  6. I had to look up scouse pie - that's new to me! At hockey games, the usual is hot dogs and beer. Some stadiums serve those awful "nachos" with nothing but liquid processed cheese on them :( Sadly, I am always tempted by caramel corn and cotton candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At most football matches now the food is pretty uniform - pies and hot dogs, but occasionally you stumble across something a bit more individual. This week we saw scouse pies, last week in Middlesbrough there was the parmo. At Burnley there are no unusual foods, well the pies are made locally, but Benedictine and hot water is sold to drink. It is nice to come across a bit of variety.

      Delete
  7. I love food pics! I LOVE Aldi Sweet potato chips which I discovered in the Frozen section- they are superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I love sweet potato fries but usually do all the chopping myself, I'll try the Aldi version soon, thanks.

      Delete