Skip to main content

Top Ten - In The Kitchen

I know these things are my top ten favourite kitchen items as they're hardly ever in the cupboard. In no particular order of popularity - 

1.


Food processor/blender. A cheap and cheerful model, struggles bravely with Nakd-style bars but is still a champ. I've had it for about 10 years I think and it cost not very much, under £50. Here it is blending some soup. 

2.


Ikea cup and saucer. We have two of these and they are rarely out of use, there is always one or both of them in the fridge storing chopped up something or other, leftovers, half a tin of tomatoes or beans, the saucer acts as a very good lid. We also use it as a soup bowl and sometimes to drink from. These were some of the first things we bought when we moved in together so they've been working hard since 2001.

3.


Le Creuset pan. One of the things we bought when we spent ridiculous amounts of money on all manner of things, it just turns out we bought some good things occasionally. I use this pan virtually every day, it's ideal for the kind of cooking I do, even on our not very good hob. Another thing we've had for ages, we bought it from Allders in York the day Dan found out he had his first "proper" job when he finished his Masters, so it must have been summer 2001. 

4-8. 


These are the real hard workers and do the twin duties of making sure we don't waste anything and that we don't over eat. The ladle and slotted spoon (we call it "slotted pig") are ideal portion size measures - two for a light meal, three for a main meal sized portion. Slotted pig is also a handy draining device for smaller amounts of food. The scales and measuring cup are for pasta, rice, grains, noodles etc. I can still remember the day I first measured a proper portion of pasta, it made me very sad! The little spatula thing is brilliant for getting that last little bit out of jars and bottles, and for nudging things from the back of the pantry when I can't quite reach.

9-10.


When I said in no particular order I was of course lying, the most popular items in the kitchen are the coffee and tea pots. I would have thought there was no explanation needed for these. The teapot came from the charity shop last year and was a couple of quid. I think we bought the coffee thing from Lytham, but I can't remember where or how much - priceless. 

Does anyone else have favourite kitchen items that you wouldn't choose to be without?

Comments

  1. My Keurig has by far become my favorite kitchen item. I sue it for that quick cup of hot water for tea for one, hot chocolate, and coffee in my reusable pod. Second, only because it doesn't make coffee, is my toaster. If I am tired, but famished, a couple slices of peanut butter toast keeps me happy. I won't bore you with the other ten, but might borrow this for a blog post when I have nothing original to write about. Interesting to think about simple items having such a positive impact in our lives though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A toaster is one thing we don't own, I agree though a slice or two of peanut butter on toast is a lifesaver at times.

      I was putting the washing up away when I had the idea for this post as half of it didn't make it to the cupboard as I was going to use it immediately to make soup, you're right, it is the simple items that make our lives better.

      Delete
  2. My salad spinner is my all time favourite item. I just couldn't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A salad spinner is a good one, especially when you grow your own.

      Delete
  3. Love the creuset pan, the coffee pot and the tea pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My small kitchen knife is in use every day as is the slotted spoon and the teapot.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't live without measuring cups. I can't stand weighing things out anymore! Cups are so convenient. I'm pretty fond of my teapot, cafetiere and cast iron frying pan too.

    Is 'slotted pig' just your name for it or is it a regional thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Slotted pig" is just something we say, it comes from the film Toy Story. Buzz Lightyear calls Hamm the piggy bank "slotted pig" and I liked it!

      Baking with cups is so much better than weighing out ingredients.

      Delete
  6. Great list! Without a doubt my nutriti bullet that is also a food processor & blender. Kept on the worktop and used at least once a day, even deals with nuts. Best money ever spent xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many good things about the nutri bullet, I like how compact yet powerful they look.

      Delete
  7. My knives, always my knives, the end grain chopping board, measuring cups and spoons, a very ancient wooden spatula , large and small sieves and my Yorkshire Pudding tin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fun. Can I think of ten?
    Paring knife for cutting fruit,
    cutting board with "moat" around the perimeter for catching juices,
    Vitamix blender for smoothies,
    tea kettle from friend,
    Emeril 12-inch, heavy bottomed frying pan,
    flipper (spatula),
    plastic bucket (for peelings, etc),
    round bladed pizza cutter,
    pizza stone,
    bodum coffee plunger,
    fruit bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. I have one knife in particular that I tend to use for all my chopping and slicing. And a two handled pan which gets used for everything from jam making to boiling pasta. It cost me £10 about ten years ago and is indispensable. Oh, and I like a wooden spoon. Can't be doing with this silicon rubbish. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a go-to knife, I have three that I use all the time but there's not one that I really like.

      Delete
  10. This is so interesting!!! I love hearing what you use. Ahrgh, we lost the blades to our blender when we moved house last February! It is SOOO annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that is annoying, can you buy spares online?

      Delete
  11. Hmmm, coffee pot, kettle, tea pot, my bread knife, my paring knife, slotted spoon, soup ladle, measuring cups, bowls, and my dutch oven that gets used for everything from pasta to jams and pickling.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine would be plastic coffee drip filter thing, ginger grater, Vitamix, measuring cups, sandwich bags for making toasted sandwiches in the toaster and my pizza stone which I even take on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those toaster bags are great. Dan will be very happy to hear someone else loves their pizza stone as much as he loves his!

      Delete

Post a Comment