Monday, 20 March 2017

Takeaways

I spent some of the weekend making the picnic blanket. I'm about a quarter of the way through the binding, and I've learned a lot. Machine quilting is like ordering a takeaway, at first it seems like a good idea, but after a short while the joy has worn off and you're left thinking that you could have made something more satisfying yourself. 

The main thing I've learned is that I do not enjoy using the sewing machine at all. The project became something to do, it felt like it was all about getting it finished rather than creating something. I can't deny how exciting is was to see strips coming together so quickly, but that soon subsided and it was just about getting it done. For me it has been like making bread using a bread maker, yes, technically you've made something yourself, but you've not really been involved in the process, machines have done the heavy lifting. 

I also made the massive error of deciding to use the back as the binding, never ever again. I love a wonky quilt, but just no. Next time I have binding money I'll be nipping to the fabric shop to buy something nice to finish it off. 

The final thing I've learned is that I don't really like making things, I love putting things together and making things look nice but the actual construction of things I don't enjoy, so I'll get the picnic blanket, the Twin Peaks runner and Dan's SFA quilt done then that's it for quilting, time for something else. 

16 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I 'aspire ' to sewing and will on occasion succumb to that aspiration, only to fail. So, yesterday, with the rubbish weather as incentive we went through or book mountain and all my'how to sew/quilt/make toys/curtains/vintage bags/yadda yadda yadda books are destined for greater things. ...at our local charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Aspiration clutter is some of the hardest to get rid of, it feels great to finally free yourself from it. I only started quilting because I was having real difficulty settling in here and Dan asked me what I wanted to do. When I opened my mouth "make a quilt" came out, much to everyone's surprise, so now here we are!

      Delete
  2. Same here I had a basic sewing machine and then I won a fancy one last year, I made a few things but like you didn't enjoy making it and the same as you just enjoy putting things together. So they both got sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a look back over your last few posts and I'm sure your picnic blanket is going to look lovely. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully, you have a good eye for design it would seem! I love the idea of making a quilt and I bought a machine - and hated it. I don't mind handsewing things and mending. I'm OK with not being a crafting goddess now. The toast recipe has been edited BTW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love hand sewing, but using the machine just does nothing for me at all. I think I'm OK with not being a crafting goddess too.

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit like that, when I start something I'm excited and enthusiastic, but then as time goes on I lose interest and I just want it over and done with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I have made quite a few quilts, but using the sewing machine, it's not really much fun for me.

      Delete
  6. I have never made a quilt by hand but I would like to have a go - perhaps one of the very traditional hexaganol ones that do not lend themselves to being done by machine. I remember seeing a really old quilt hung in the Whitworth gallery in Manchester that was 1/2" hexagonals sewn together by hand of course - amazing. It is good to admit to ourselves what we really like doing or not or stop if it isn't working out. Sometimes I wonder if I really do enjoy making cards - my excuse is I never have time - maybe my problem is finding time to make up an initial design that I am satisfied with - copying the original is the easy part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making quilts by hand, it's so relaxing, I've never made a hexagon quilt, although I think they look beautiful.

      I know what you mean about cardmaking, I used to do that too but I just stopped, there were quite a few reasons, but the time new designs took to create was a factor.

      Delete
  7. It's a shame your joy has worn off. Maybe a smaller project might help another time. I wouldn't know where to start using a sewing machine so I admire your determination to finish the blanket. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have two quilts to finish, but really then it's time to give it a break, as there will be more quilts than beds so we don't need more, and I don't want my home to look too much like an explosion in a fabric shop. I know quite a few crochet fans and things can tend to look a bit... yarnbombed (sorry crochet people), so I'm wary of looking too homespun.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, blog makeover! It's a pity you don't enjoy the process. I think I am and would be the same!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just needed to make the blog that bit more orange!

      It was a bit of an odd thing, I've made four quilts before, which doesn't sound like many but by hand I can only make one a year at the most, and I'd never really thought about how little I enjoy the actual quilting part. It wasn't until I made something a different way that I realised I really enjoy putting the top together, playing around with the fabric etc. but not the (boring) bit of turning it into a useable thing.

      Delete