Wednesday, 22 March 2017

March Week Three


I was amazed at how much some food items had gone up this week! Thankfully vegetables were still reasonably priced but other bits and bobs, 10p here, 20p there, not fun at all. Has anyone else noticed that?

Last week was really quiet, Dan attended a leaving lunch for a work colleague and we went to Preston to see the Martin Creed exhibition again, but other than that we only visited the supermarket. We had planned to have a weekend in the garden, but as the weather took a turn for the worse on Thursday evening and didn't pick up again plans went out of the window a bit. 

Some of the more glamorous tasks we did to bring things forward this weekend were to declutter some less than gorgeous undergarments and dozen pairs of socks (no I didn't keep them for dusting). Dan examined the bathroom light as it had stopped working, a quick tighten of the bulb and it works! For the first time in weeks, since my splurge shop in February, I felt the urge to eat a stew, Dan had requested more soup so I made both at the same time as they shared ingredients. It's non-stop excitement some days here. 



It got steamy! Some things we ate this week 



baked butterbeans* with v-pud/ pepper stuffed with puy lentils and v-pud/ nut roast (of course there was gravy)

* this was not a success, even though it's a recipe I've made dozens of times. I bought some cheap tomatoes and even after being in the oven for 45 minutes they were still watery and acidic. 



puy lentil and red pepper pie (delicious)/ chips! (delicious)/ squash and butterbean stew (extra delicious)

This weekend will be a little more expensive, we're going to eat cake with my family on Sunday which seems inexpensive but I should imagine the small people will extract some money from me. On Saturday evening we're going to Manchester to see The Jesus And Mary Chain, they were my favourite band when I was in my late teens so I'll have to find something black to wear and shuffle around being grumpy and sarcastic.

16 comments:

  1. Yes, we've noticed the small but accumulatively expensive increments in prices. A penny or two may not individually break the bank but after a week's shop for us and our son at uni, the till slip confirms the price rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are going up all the time again now, it is all adding up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what to make to go with our roast beetroot, parsnips and carrots later, butter bean stew sounds just the ticket! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - great band!! Hope you enjoy the gig on Saturday. Please post a photo of what you decide to wear. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've not seen them for probably 20 years so I'm really looking forward to it. I will try to remember to get a snap of my outfit.

      Delete
  5. I think prices are steadily creeping up too but your meals look quite appetising. More cake this week as well!
    I have never heard of The Jesus and Mary Chain - maybe I am too old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This weekend is the best kind of cake - birthday cake!

      The band didn't exactly bother the charts too much so they're not a household name.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the concert and cake. What little people will you be seeing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will do my very best. The little people are my nieces and their brother and sister - it will not be a quiet afternoon!

      Delete
  7. Prices have been rising here in Canada for the past year, a penny here, five cents there I wonder where it will all end.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I hope prices don't spiral out of hand.

      Delete
  8. I have noticed how prices are going up too. It is making me look for more space and vegetables with a longer growing season at the allotment. On the good side, hubby has cut his meat consumption right back to the occasional sausage! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant even imagine how expensive meat must be!

      Delete