Wednesday, 8 March 2017

March Week One

Right at the start of the month Dan has saved us £70+ a year on insurance. 

The largest expense other than the shelving unit was having the buns vaccinated, there's a new strain of one of the diseases so we're going back in two weeks for that vaccination too, we were given the option but there's no point taking the risk. The two new fence panels arrived, we already had some stain so didn't need to buy that, and our neighbour offered to pay half even though we explained that the fence was our responsibility. I also had a night out celebrating a 40th birthday, I even had a little dance! I only spent £11 on that which was surprising, and I was so tired the following day we stayed in and watched winter sports.

We are now sorted out for houseplants too, we went to the local garden centre but there was only a small selection so ended up at B&Q where we bought a Mother In Law's Tongue and a fern, Dan loves ferns so there we go. We thought as we were there we'd look for a lamp, not really expecting to find anything suitable. What do I know, there was one perfect size and shape and even had a concrete base, win win win. 




I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the pizza Dan made on Wednesday, it was delicious, with enough left over to take a slice each out with us to stop us feeling tempted to eat out when we went to Lancaster the following day. Speaking of which I am really cross with myself wasting £2.40, I bought some pesto but when we got it home it had cheese in. I don't know if it had been put back in the wrong place or if I was just absent minded and didn't check. Dan will take it to work as we had opened it before noticing, someone will take it I'm sure.

A few things we ate this week



A kind of veggieball marinara sub/ yellow curry with cashews and brown rice/ veggie rolls. 



bread/ bulgur salad with roast veg and pumpkin seeds/ roast sweet potato.

Not much else to report,

16 comments:

  1. The unit looks fantastic and fits perfectly. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we're made up with it. Someone I know made a comment that the shop I bought it from is expensive, but we walked past a furniture shop at an out of town retail park the other day and a unit a similar size would have cost twice as much!

      Delete
  2. I often have grabbed items with a meat product hidden in the ingredients when vegetarian daughter is home. It's too bad but labels have to be read unexpected ingredients show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually so careful, but to be honest I didn't even know this brand made a non vegan product (I don't know why I thought that), and the jars were so similar, exactly the same colour label etc. very annoying indeed. Back to very slow shopping from now on!

      Delete
  3. We've been caught too, thinking that a product passes the veggi requirements only to find at home the unwanted hidden ingredient. My son, at Lancaster uni, is having to learn to check his purchases too - he commented the other day how much longer he takes to shop than his friends, but he'll soon get to recognise the safe options. Unit looks good with added plantage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love having plants in the room, adds that extra something.

      Lancaster is really good for veg*ns, I was envious when I found out there's a weekly market on campus now too!

      Delete
    2. Yes he shops there too, says you don't have to check labels on fresh veg!

      Delete
  4. What a cute lamp! It fits the shelving perfectly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, it adds a lovely soft glow.

      Delete
  5. I love the lamp, and your food looks delicious, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rainbow veg rolls look good, I keep meaning to make some. I have been to the supermarket and out of greed and haste picked something up and later realised it has something in it not suitable for vegetarians, but I always find someone at work to give it too. I was shocked to find a few years back that one of the orange juices had fish oil in it. Houseplants are lovely, we used to have an Aloe Vera plant, don't have anything at the moment - sad really - but the kitchen has some fresh herbs growing in the window - does that count :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lead to believe my mum has some small aloe vera plants - her main one is huge, so one may well end up here, which would be great. Fresh herbs in the kitchen certainly count, I'm going to dig out my seeds and sow some herbs today, great idea!

      The veg rolls were a joint effort, I chopped, Dan rolled, we both enjoyed!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday! Hope you had a lovely time! The veg rolls look really nice as do all the other dishes as well! The plants look great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't my birthday, although I partied like it was!

      I love the houseplants.

      Delete