Monday, 27 March 2017

Freebie and Bargain of the Week

I forgot to take a picture of the outfit I wore on Saturday, I was too excited beforehand, and too covered in what I can only hope was beer by the time it ended. I wore a mustard top (which, it turns out, I had on backwards) and a gold skirt, it was a good choice, I was easy to spot in the crowd according to Dan - there was a lot of black in evidence. Also according to Dan I am a cheap date as I didn't want to go anywhere beforehand and resisted merchandise. We also parked right next to the venue - £2 for the whole evening!

I spent yesterday with my family, which involved being on my own with the small people for a bit - why people choose to do that and how they put up with it I have no idea, it's no surprise parents get a day, they need all the gifts. I don't think there's a weird, awkward Aunt day, although I did try to say it was next week and that everyone should make me a card. I don't think I'll get one from the 9 year old, I nutmegged him when we were playing football and he was very unimpressed. 

Which brings me to the freebies and bargains. Father gave me some fresh rhubarb and some onion sets, Mother passed on two magazines, and some clothes for the charity shop. We were talking about the bathroom re-do as they're having a new shower too and they have offered to flex their old person discount card at B&Q if we buy our tiles from there as it's a 10% discount. Very kind, it will save us a nice amount. 

I found another peony lying next to the compost bin, Father confirmed he had "shoved some in a box" but forgot to tell me, so I put them into the former veg bed, along with a lavender and threw some wildflower seeds around, hopefully that will do the trick. It certainly felt good to spend Saturday morning out there drinking tea and doing a bit of weeding. Fun times.

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely empathise with the 'weird, awkward aunt' sentiment... BEEN THERE on so many occasions!!! Glad the gig was great. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gig really was great, Dan enjoyed it too, I think he was a bit worried that they'd be rubbish and I would be upset. They performed some of my favourites too which was great. Happy times.

      My SIL shared some pictures of us in the garden with the children, I am not pulling the face of a natural carer!

      Delete
  3. People seem to think having a good time means spending loads of money, you and I know different, well done on getting some free goodies, I am all for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was great to just drive to the gig, go and then leave. I think it's easy to fall into the trap of going for a meal or drinks first and all that stuff, and sometimes it's easier i.e when we go further afield, but when it's only an hour away there's no need.

      Delete
  4. I've tried a few times to get a peony to grow and have turned to hostas.Now with no small children and not teaching, I'm fine leaving the little people to others. I 'll feel different I'm sure with grandchildren some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my hostas reappear, they looked great last year.

      My parents love having the children around, although I think they wish it had happened when they were a little younger as they're very tiring!

      Delete
  5. There really should be an Awkward Aunt Day, I quite agree with that.... or perhaps an Adopted Grandma day?????

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to pick a day and declare it to be Awkward Aunt Day, I'm sure other people would join in!

      My Mum received presents from the two children that aren't my brother's so I think Adopted Grandma Day and Mothering Sunday are one and the same in our family which is nice.

      Delete
  6. Aunties, awkward or not, deserve a day of their own. They are so dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, (Awkward) Aunts unite!

      Delete
  7. So glad the show was good! I love it when they are convenient and cheap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, and not just in a nostalgic way.

      Delete