Skip to main content

Sure Do Love Those Carrots


I have to confess I thought it was Friday which has thrown the meals out a little bit. This is my picnic and eat at home prep today, from left to right, falalfel, soup and hash. I made the hash on the wrong day, so the fava beans will stay in the freezer a little bit longer, so sad. 

When I looked in the pantry yesterday I saw we still had a tin of carlin peas, we bought them with no real plan in mind. So I did a little poking about and found a recipe for spiced carrot falafel from Hodmedod, I suggested to Dan I could make these instead of buying some ready made from the shop, being the delight he is he agreed. I had never eaten carlin peas before last year, although parched peas are a thing in these parts apparently.



They're really simple, just shove everything in the food processor then form into patties and fry, couldn't be easier. I didn't have quinoa flakes so I used oats instead. 


They are spicy! I think they'd still be very nice without the chilli flakes to leave them just fragrant rather than hot. We have a couple of wraps from last night's meal plus a red cabbage, beetroot and pesto to go with them, so it should make for a good picnic.

So with these along with carrot and squash soup and carrot filled hash I should be able to see in the dark if nothing else!

Comments

  1. The falafels do look very tasty. Just mind your ears don't get all long and pointy!😉 I have a habit of getting my days wrong too. It can get me all messed up. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm all thrown out with not being at the shop, we went to the football on Tuesday and Dan worked from home yesterday. A very odd week!

      Delete
  2. I have never come across carlin peas before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of them until we moved here and a few shops sell them dried to make parched peas, but we didn't try them until last year when we saw the tinned ones in the health food shop.

      Delete
  3. They sound and look yum! My husband is suffering more recently with his IBS so we are going back to a more basic and gentle diet. I am going to try and make cauliflower and courgette patties with a poached egg for lunch for him today as a treat - he and his tum are feeling a little sorry for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cauliflower and courgette patties sound good. Dan has an IBD so I know how it is to live with someone who is at the mercy of their innards. Hope his flare up settles soon.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are very nice indeed, and can also be made with chickpeas, so cheap to make too.

      Delete

Post a Comment