Sunday, 19 February 2017

House Hunters

Each time we leave East Lancs it gets harder. We spent yesterday afternoon looking in Estate Agency windows at the houses for sale, then as we drove back we noticed the houses that were for sale in areas we like. Then we got home and looked online at the houses. Then we had a long discussion. 

We decided that we wouldn't ever come here if we didn't live here, but we would always visit the places we like no matter where we live, if that makes sense. So we decided today we would hunt around the house for twenty things we could do to improve the house. Of course one of those things was making some jam buns to go with a nice cup of tea. 



Rehanging the Kaplan panels meant we could put our other pictures back where they live. It also meant the spare bed could go back to being a bed. From this (the sheet had been covering the panels)



To this



Just a normal room! It also meant I could put all my fabric and sewing things back into the sideboard, I hadn't wanted to mess about in that room as I had visions of falling onto the bed and putting my hand through the fabric or snapping the frames!

We also bought a chain for the plug in the bathroom, so we went from this



a blurry thing with no plug, to this



a plug with a chain! It cost £1.90 for the chain and took about 30 seconds to fit, we didn't bother buying a new plug, just reused the one we had, a new thing including the plug would have cost £4.60.

The green bin has been filled up with garden waste, I've cleaned the cupboard doors in the kitchen, put the decorative bits and bobs back on the window sill in the middle of the stairs, dusted and gone round with the cobweb removal stick. We're about half way to twenty tasks to love where we live and it's looking good!


16 comments:

  1. They say stand in the doorways and look at your rooms as a visitor or as an estate agent would and make notes of what could be improved.

    Isn't it silly how we can all put things off endlessly and the reality is that the job will take mere minutes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Any tips gratefully recieved here (I especially like the one about jam buns). I am always after ways to help me love my house. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just looked around and started to deal with those little things we overlook - like the plug, and getting rid of a rug neither of us like but we brought back into the house when it was cold about two years ago!

      I'll put the jam bun recipe in a new post *yum*

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the smallest little changes can make you feel so much more positive about your home. I think I might need to do more than 20 things at the moment though to feel better about the state of mine. I don't think I could begin cope with the upheaval of moving at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a really weird relationship with the house, one the one hand I love it, on the other I've never really felt at home here. But making it as nice as possible should help.

      Delete
  4. What a great post, much better than giving up on your house and moving, and far less stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was actually quite enjoyable to get things done.

      Delete
  5. Can hardly wait to see the total results of your 20 things. It is such a good idea.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a good thing to do, and something I'm going to keep in mind. I don't think anyone else would really notice the changes, but I'll post a few of them up anyway.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant idea. I love my home and there are some benefits of the locality, but some of the empty shops and poor planning decisions do look sorrowful when it must have been a wonderfully bustling town many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean. There are lots of benefits to living where we do, but in terms of our interests there's not all that much, so we end up heading elsewhere for most of our free time. Although having said that one of the better restaurants has just started advertising a vegan menu so that's a start!

      Delete
  7. Our green bin is full but it won't get emptied again until late Mar so we are now emptying out into green waste bags to take to the recycling centre before we move out. We have to pay £40 per year for the green bin that is only emptied for part of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our council is about to bring in a £30 charge, we haven't had a letter about it yet though. I am surprised we have a year round collection, I thought it may not happen in the winter, so even when we have to pay at least it's a full service.

      Delete
  8. The artwork and bedroom look great! Fixing little things like the plug make a big difference, I think - it takes mental energy to tolerate nonfunctional things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The one of the fabric panels fell down before Christmas and we hadn't repaired it because we knew it would take quite a while. It's up now, with extra safety features in case the string snaps again!

      Delete