Tuesday, 7 February 2017

February Week One

We got off to a great start, the cakes I made for Dan's birthday went down very well at work, there's one other vegan in the office and she said she couldn't remember having a nicer cake! Other people were also very impressed apparently, so glad it wasn't a waste of time and money!

Dan wanted baked tortillas for his birthday tea, for the filling I used some squash and butterbean pasty filling from the freezer, added some roast veg, tomato puree, extra spices and jalapenos, then topped the tortillas with pesto. They were sooooo nice, better than had I not been making do! Although it meant adding carrots to the shopping list we saved some money by making spiced carrot falafel to form the basis of our picnic for our planned trip to Nottingham which didn't happen until Sunday we had to take the white rabbit to the vet. We had a full loyalty card which knocked £15 off the bill which eased the pain a little. 

I was happy to discover a nearly empty bag of green lentils, they were squashed between the red lentils and pasta (now used) in the pantry so I thought there were only two bags when there were three! Not many, but enough for a few meals, which means I'm knocking them off the master shopping list for the time being. I've also noticed we're hardly eating pasta these days - not money saving, just an observation. Looking in the pantry we still have some spelt pasta and some edamame fettuccine which should keep us going.




Made another cushion from a pillow case in the fabric pile. Made some bunting, I not a fan of bunting but it's for the charity shop reopening *yay*, I used lots of fabrics I didn't have any use for but didn't want to just get rid of, they'd mainly been given to me by other people having a clear out. 

Bought some supermarket shampoo for 75p, rather than my usual brand that costs nearly £5 and Dan's that costs over a tenner. The bottle is half the size but it's still a decent saving, I don't mind it so far and it doesn't seem to irritate Dan's scalp amazingly. 

We did buy a few things, we had celebratory drinks for Dan's birthday. We had the trip to the vet (never cheap). Unexpectedly we had to buy some stamps costing £6.60. I had to pay 8p more for two tin of chickpeas as there were none at Home Bargain so I had to buy them from Aldi, shocking.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday to Dan, Love the bunting, glad the charity shop is reopening x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think we're all looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. Your bunting is very smart - I'm sure that they will really appreciate it in the shop. It sounds like you've had a nice time over Dan's birthday. Please wish him a belated happy birthday from me! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bunting looks good and will make a lovely focus point for the shop reopening. Beautiful fabrics, always nice to see fabric recycled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hear the overlord of the shops wants us to have more of a seaside type look, so it should fit in.

      Delete