Tuesday, 28 February 2017

February Round Up

Obviously I blew the £100 grocery budget due to the splurge shop at the start of the month, but I do still have £20 left in my "housekeeping" purse at the end of the month, so I am not going to complain about that. I'll try to reduce spending in March and see how it goes. 

The washing machine died yesterday. When we moved here I made the mistake of buying a really good and not very cheap washing machine. I know a big frugal tip is to buy the best you can afford, this is by and large not something I agree with, but that's another story. A few spending highlights -

Groceries - £144.65

We spent less in every other category this month, other than alcohol, which was almost double the January spend (£9.10 more than January). We spent less on eating out and coffee etc. £73.45, the average for the previous 4 months was £110.77. We spent nothing on health, furniture, gifts, clothes for Dan, the car (other than fuel), or craft (although I did buy a few things with gift money). We spent more than usual on tickets £101, as we gave a donation to the galleries in Nottingham and Derby when we visited and we bought tickets to see Pet Shop Boys later in the year. 

A few things we ate in the final week of the month. 



East Coast Coffee Cake from Vegan Brunch, you can see a recipe variation here/ baked tortillas filled with beans, topped with pesto, tomato sauce and avocado/ more baked tortillas with squash and mushrooms and a green pepper stuffed with bulgur and quinoa. 




we were very low on food by Friday of last week, so we had chestnut stuffing and mushroom pie, surprisingly nice/ Saturday brunch, grilled tomatoes and mushroom, scrambled tofu, avocado and chia seeds on light rye/ there is a nice yellow curry under the sriracha tofu and noodles.

So it was a bit of a weird one, behind the scenes things were a little crazy and we did spend a lot but as most of it wasn't from the main budget it feels as though I can't draw any conclusions. We did manage to hit our target for the emergency fund savings though which is great.

16 comments:

  1. We also bought a very good washing machine, it has lasted almost a decade and we had to repair it once in that time - a ball bearing. It might be worth searching for the problem online and on Youtube, it might be fixable with a bit of elbow grease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone is coming round to take a look at it, hopefully it's an easy fix.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing your food photographs. Your meals look so delicious.
    What a shame about the washing machine. There always seems to be something doesn't there? My car ended up at the garage yesterday, luckily it wasn't too expensive, but not what I needed at the end of the month. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      There does seem to be a lot of things cropping up, and generally at the end of the month when we're just starting to think things have gone according to plan!

      Delete
  3. Your grocery spend is still very good in comparison to many others, and your food is always so healthy and delicious looking x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We do eat our fair share of treats but I do try hard to make our meals nice and healthy.

      Delete
  4. Well you did better than me with the food shop. Ive blown the budget on fruit. Fruit is so expensive isnt it.

    I am scared to death to turn off our 20 year old beko fridge that we have, it was cheap. We have a new one in the new kitchen, which will stay with the house. We need to turn it off to move it from its temporary home in the hall, we need to put new flooring down.

    We stupidly left the beko washing machine at a previous house as the purchaser was going through a divorce and bought every thing we could afford to leave behind. Washing machines and TV's just dont last at all in our house. It is so annoying. Again I wish we had kept the big square TV, we have had new LCD tvs every 4 years since. I hate that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit is really expensive, we rend to keep some frozen and dried fruits in stock, it just helps the budget a little.

      I know what you mean about how long things last, it's so frustrating I am, however, quite pleased with our fridge freezer, it wasn't expensive it's an Indesit and we've had it just over 7 years and it seems to be doing well.

      Delete
  5. My washing machine is coming to the end of its life, we don't think it will survive the move so I would love to hear your opinion on what is the best to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who can possibly say?

      My mum bought a Beko washing machine last year and absolutely loves it, she went for it after a couple of friends suggested the brand to her. Never owned that brand myself though. I suppose I can't really complain about my washing machine as I have had it for nearly seven years, and when the repair person opens it I wouldn't be surprised if it's half machine half rabbit hay!

      Delete
  6. Your grocery spend is good - mine is higher but I did by some items in quantity as they were on offer. I think veg is dear at the moment so trying not to waste anything. Since I have been running down my cupboard stores we are now running out of some groceries and I am hoping these items will be on offer soon so I can restock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We have been running down our stores too, which has been great for using up the things that have been lingering, but not great in terms of budget lowering this month! I am also trying harder than ever to not waste anything, so I'm getting more creative with recipe substitutes and making veg work hard in every dish.

      Delete
  7. Your stuffing and mushroom pie sounds good. I'm just about to do a review of our spending for the month. I fear that the holiday was a bit of a 'glitch'!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, holidays can throw a spanner in the works!

      The pie was very nice, we bought some chestnut stuffing from the reduced to clear shelf and I just made up half the pack (I froze the other half as stuffing balls), put it on top of some chopped field mushrooms and added a few blobs of pesto and wrapped it all in pastry. I feared it would be on the stodgy side but it was lovely.

      Delete
  8. OOoh, that tofu in the last pic looks so nice! How did you cook it?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like really firm tofu so I pressed it for quite a while, coated it in sriracha then after about 15 minutes dusted it with gram flour and shallow fried it.

      Delete