Skip to main content

A Scotch Egg Moment


Those of a thrifty disposition may wish to look away.

In our house a scotch egg moment is one of those times one of us just has enough, hits the wall, falls off the wagon etc. It originates from many years ago when we were right in the middle of paying off our debts. One day when I was clearing up I found a scotch egg wrapper, and Dan had to confess that the months of no money for anything other than basics had got on top of him and he went out and bought a scotch egg! 

It was a turning point for us, we knew we needed a release valve, so we freed up £10 a month for things like this. I seem to remember our main treat was to share a twix-style biscuit from Lidl, we'd have one finger each. 

Anyway, I had one of those moments yesterday, and I have to confess it means I threw the peri peri fava beans into the bin. I can't remember the last time a meal went into the bin but we have an example now. I just couldn't face it, to be honest I have reached a point where the thought of eating anything sloppy makes me feel a bit ill. So we went shopping. 

We stopped shopping at Booths last year and switched to Sainsbury's to save cash, and we have, but last night I just wanted to chuck things in the trolley and not think about it too much. It turns out that what I really wanted was fresh vegetables! I wasn't expecting it, but it's what my body was after. There weren't many bargains to be had other than the finger rolls 24p, pak choi for the buns was 65p, the chestnut stuffing 35p, and the quinoa bulghur was reduced to clear at 90p. I can't remember the last time I spent nearly £54 on groceries in one go, but then again I can't remember feeling as excited about cooking as I do today. 

I am still optimistic we will lower our grocery spend compared to previous months, even with this blow out, but I will be surprised if it's under £100, but I'm feeling optimistic so you never know. 

Comments

  1. good for you. sometimes youve just got to do it to stay sane. enjoy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have made a load of stuff already!

      Delete
  2. Don't beat yourself up about it, we did a normal shop this week at Aldi, boy did it hurt, you are always very resourceful and come up with some lovely meal ideas, it doesn't hurt once in a while to have a little splurge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I have made a few things today and have a list of things to make over the weekend.

      Delete
  3. You did exactly the right thing... it's important to have treats from time to time. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it could have been far worse!

      Delete
  4. This made me chuckle, we have scotch egg moments from time to time, but seem to egg each other on, putting more and more ridiculous things in the trolley. We are trying to get better but supermarkets can be a minefield, and sometimes end up going into "is it vegan? pop it in!" mode. Like you we try to manage it by deciding to get a treat, and make everything else sensible and on budget. Unfortunately sometimes you feel like you need quite a few treats...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know just what you mean, I put on a few pounds having "vegan joy" whenever we saw a new product or an accidentally vegan item at the supermarket! I was getting better, but now I've learned how to make chocolate cake then it may be back to square one!

      Delete
  5. I think it's the time of the year, I get vegetable cravings, the need for crunchy fresh fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, a lot of it was about the texture, it is so nice to see everything in the fridge and the pantry.

      Delete
  6. I have "strong dark chocolate" moments and keep a close eye on the best and nearest place to get some. Luckily Lidl has a very decent one for just over £1, and the rest of the binge shop never amounts to over £20. I keep frozen "burger shaped" rounds of macaroni cheese in and griddled then layered on a beany burger make for a decadent feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound decadent, what a great idea!

      We do usually have a little bit of something in the pantry or freezer, but there really was not much left after a period of trying to use everything up.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes a person just has to spend. I am sure you will do very well after this short break. Enjoy, cooking up a storm.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, it does you good sometimes. Still looks like a good amount of shopping for the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really has done me good to have some fresh food in the house and to shake things up a little bit.

      Delete
  9. I'm sure you feel much better now that you don't have to face the peri peri beans! I occasionally bin things if I don't like them, my reason being that I don't want to waste the calories eating something that I don't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet, I really do!

      That's a really interesting way to look at things, not wanting to waste the calories on something, I'll remember that.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, great to see you here too!

      Delete
  11. I am hoping once we move to be able to join a whole foods coop in Cornwall. Is there something like that where you live? We used to belong to one previously and then moved. it made us huge savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sadly where I live has nothing like that at all. We do shop at a co-op in Lancaster which is a drive away but somewhere we visit at least once a month we tend to buy our grains and spices from there are they're so much cheaper.

      Delete
  12. I just blog hopped here from Sam, Coffee, Money and Thyme. I loved reading this and the Scotch Egg genesis. I look forward to reading your past posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. totally, totally understandable!!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I call it 'keeping the economy afloat'! And life is for living. Enjoy every single mouthful! I know it'll all be used up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not only have I enjoyed eating everything, I've enjoyed making it too, which is not like me!

      We've had a bit of a time recently and understanding that life is for living is more important than ever.

      Delete

Post a Comment