Skip to main content

Top Charity Shop Items Of The Year

Yesterday the always interesting and fun Kezzie blogged about her top charity shop items of the year. So I'm going to do the same. I don't think I'm going to manage a top ten but I'll do my best. 



A lantern for the garden. We did a fair bit of work on the garden last year, digging the lawn up and replacing it with cobbles. We didn't have much budget for anything else so we used some pallets as edging and as you can see Dan made a little table. I picked the lantern up for 99p, I could be wrong but I think it was brand new, it had certainly not been heavily used if it wasn't new.

Still in the garden another favourite from last year was a repair job I did to some chewed seat pads.



The fishy fabric was only 49p from a shop in Preston, I just used some wundaweb to stick it over the holes.



Moving back inside, my next favourite purchase are some soup bowls, I have always wanted some like this so when these were reduced I snapped them up, I can't remember how much they were, a few quid I think.



They're quite small, so ideal for a lunchtime portion, or for soup and a sandwich.

I am also fond of my tea for one set, I think I paid £2.49 for this, but as it was new, and at that time still selling for around £12 I was more than happy. I use it as part of my menu planning ceremony.



Only two more to go! We remain in the kitchen for one of the most useful things I bought last year, a lovely divided pyrex dish to hold salad. 



I think I was under the influence of our trip to the National Glass Centre in Sunderland when I bought this!

Finally, and is probably my favourite charity shop purchase of all time is something I have spoken about before, we bought it from the RSPCA shop in Kendal for £10, my official guide to The Festival Of Britain. Again I say thank you to my niece.












So that's a top six, not a top ten, but they're the things I like and use the most. 

Comments

  1. I inherited that same divided Pyrex covered dish from my parents. Good find and I love the soup bowls and tea for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so useful, my parents had the Pyrex with pictures of fruits and vegetables, I wonder if she still has it.

      The tea for one is so useful.

      Delete
    2. I have the same dish too, and also a turquoise version that I must pass on to my daughter.

      Delete
    3. I love the turquoise colourway, I would keep an eye out for that colour if I needed another dish, but I don't!

      Delete
  2. Some lovely finds, I particularly love the Pyrex dish. We are off for a look around a few charity shops later, hopefully something nice will catch my eye. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope your charity shopping is fruitful, enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. You have picked up some fab stuff and practical stuff you can use too. The soup bowls with the lids are just so sensible...never seen the like before and an easy way to make sure it all stays warm.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The lidded bowl are so useful, there's a hole in the lid for steam to escape but they do keep the contents warm for a decent amount of time.

      Delete
  4. Nice finds, particularly liked the garden lanterns and chair pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was so pleased with the chair pads, I do like to be comfy in the garden!

      Delete
  5. I have spent a good chunk of time weeding the house of unused and duplicate items,most of which have gone to various charity shops. I have to get someone else to take them in otherwise I would find just as much to bring home with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't surprise me! So many times people donated things to the charity shop then said "I'll just have a look as I'm here", you are not alone.

      Delete
  6. I am sooo envious of your Festival of Britain guide - I love discovering books and magazines from this era. I have some pyrex like that too - sometimes they used to come on a little gold wire stand for serving on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the dishes on a stand.

      The guide is great isn't it. Dan bought me the official guide to the Royal Festival Hall for my 40th birthday, not from a charity shop though, it came all the way from Australia!

      Delete
  7. You found some very lovely items. I love the lantern, and that table is so cute.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I love the table too, Dan's not really the handy type in that sense but we just had enough bits of pallet let from doing the garden edging to create this little gem. The wood was given to us so it was a no cost project - always good!

      Delete
  8. I love a good charity shop find. I really like the garden lantern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my charity shop goodies too, I was made up with the lantern as I'd been looking at them and they were not cheap to buy, I was certainly in the right place at the right time.

      Delete
  9. Great finds! I love Dan's table and your chair pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we don't do too badly considering we're not really the practical type.

      Delete
  10. Yay,glad you did one! I LOOOOOOOOVE your soup bowls! All the better because of the lid!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration!

      The bowls are cute aren't they, I keep making soup just so I can use them!

      Delete

Post a Comment