Skip to main content

Three Month Round Up

At the end of September we started to note down all our spending, it as been very interesting to say the least. 

Unsurprisingly, there has been a lot spent on gifts and craft materials on the run up to Christmas - for the period we've been tracking we've spent £347.93 on gifts. This covers my mother in law's 60th birthday, my nephew's birthday, Christmas gifts for twelve people, and a gift for a birthday this month. The two most popular gifts were the 60th birthday present, which was a painting and pushes the gift spend up considerably, the other thing was a battery operated disco ball. Dan's Grandmother has dementia and so Dan thought he'd try her with it and she loves it!

In terms of craft materials I've spent £99.77, that is a lot, and is probably the area I would have underestimated the most. I bought stuff to make the advent calendar, two wreaths, Dan's big cushion and Dan's Super Furry Animals quilt, and my new splendid cutting mat. 

When we first started tracking we had a bit of a spending spree on clothes, I spoke of it here. The total for my stuff is £240.21 on 15 items of shoes, clothing, accessories and underwear. 

The lowest spend so far has been on cleaning products, a total of £5.19. I treated Dan to some kitchen roll, and I gave in and bought some laundry liquid. I've been using soapnuts since July, and for the time I could dry everything outside they were amazing, now it's a bit more hit and miss something with a nice smell was more desirable. 

Now we've done this first three months of just looking at our spending we're looking to trim some of the flab. Craft spending should plummet now, as should gifts and clothing, I'm looking at cutting the food budget, the car was serviced yesterday and we know we have to prepare for a big spend on that in June so we'll be saving up for that. Everything else is probably business as usual, other than this week as someone is having their birthday!

Comments

  1. I have kept a craft spend list for a couple of years, it focus my mind to my spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for something like craft spending isn't it, costs can so easily spiral.

      Delete
  2. Finding and succeeding with the trimming are the fun things about a budget. You are going to do fantastically.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a similarly close eye on my budgets and I think that prices are creeping up a little at the moment. What do you think? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were quite a few things at the supermarket I thought were more expensive, we kept costs down as some of our usual purchases were on special offer, but that won't last forever.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't gift buying soon mount up! The majority of our buying comes from September through to February. As does one lot of car tax, two lots of insurance and a pair of mot's. A very expensive time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does mount up. Quite a few of the gifts were genuinely well received, others, well we might as well not have bothered, but what can you do?

      Delete

Post a Comment