Saturday, 21 January 2017

Retail Therapy


It was decided by Dan that I needed a treat last night to help get over the shock of yesterday. I think everyone else was on the same wavelength as I saw on Facebook someone else had treated themselves to a takeaway and others had gone out for a drink. I made some popcorn and we used a bit more of our Google Play voucher to rent the David Brent film, just what was needed on a Friday night. 

Today we took my birthday money out to see if there was anything for me. I have recently had to downgrade my only cardi, favourite dress, and a jumper due to damage and general scruffiness, which only left me with two jumpers and a long sleeved t-shirt, so I wanted some warm clothes and a replacement dress. I have to say I did pretty well!



First purchase was a cardi for £1 from my favourite Animal Care shop, it's just a Primark item but I like it a lot, it's quite thick and just my style. 



Second shop, Salvation Army I bought a black and white dress replacement, it wasn't bargain basement cheap at £7.99 but I like it. 



Third shop, St John's Hospice, a jumper



I get the impression this was an unwanted gift at some point.



I also picked up a plain M&S black jumper £3, a grey jumper dress £3.50 a belt for with the Laura Ashley dress £1.50 and a jumper for Dan to wear for work £4. Loads of basics all in one go! I also took my book voucher but there was nothing I fancied so I'll leave that for another time. 

Back at home and Dan's making bread and I'll be making a cauliflower and squash curry for later. The market stall was selling veg for 50p an item so I thought it would be a treat for tonight and something good for the freezer. eta, I didn't make the curry, I made soup and roast veg pasta instead. 

16 comments:

  1. Great finds, I particularly love the dress such a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a little longer than I'd usually go for, but I really like it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you got a lot for your money. Sometimes shopping can be quite therapeutic I find. I've been buying a few new to me jumpers at the CS and in the sales recently. My wardrobe needed refreshing a bit in terms of winter items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed some winter items, with being at the shop this week I had nothing to wear on Friday as all my long sleeved tops were drying.

      I was impressed with the prices, the charity shops were quite quiet too so I felt able to browse a bit more than usual.

      Delete
  3. Love your charity shop bargains, you did extremely well there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really happy with the things I came home with, just what I was after.

      Delete
  4. You for some lovely items. I really like the cardigan.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the cardigan is really cosy, I think I'll wear it lots.

      Delete
  5. You did really well-evidence that there are good things abounding. I think smaller sizes have better choice. I don't find many good things second hand, but usually can find a pair of jeans or a basic skirt or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there were some good things, although much of it not in my size. I agree, I think small to medium clothes are more plentiful, we did used to get some nice larger sizes in too, but nowhere near as many.

      Delete
  6. I might have snapped up all those bits of clothing...if they were in my size. Extra small would be entirely optimistic! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were in my size - the charity shopper lament!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good day's shopping - love the cardigan and the price. You certainly came away with some good bargains - I am looking for plain tops at the moment to go with a number of skirts that I have bought over time for work that are patterned and I have nothing to go with them - I should make myself buy clothes as a complete outfit then I wouldn't end up with items that go with nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about plain tops. I had a shopping trip in the autumn and promised myself I'd buy things that were plain and black, I bought plain but not black and black but not plain!

      I was really happy to pick up the jumpers yesterday as they're plain enough to go with my patterned skirts - I find it hard to shop for plain things as they're just so boring!

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday! Didn't you do well!

    I rarely have charity shop luck, likely because I'm a fusspot! I want vintage appropriate, as real vintage is rare in these parts but as it's warm winter long sleeved things that I'm looking for, I have absolutely no luck as jumpers are either really wide, really long, or a combination of both.

    Sorry to hear about your charity shop by the way xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about long and boxy jumpers! I'm not very tall but I am quite curvy so long and wide is the worst possible thing for me!

      I can't generally be bothered to look around charity shops but on Saturday Dan was the driving force so it went well without being too hot and sweaty!

      Delete