Skip to main content

Grocery Shopping

Something we've learned this month, we both like grocery shopping. We did a largish shop at the start of the month, then another largish shop when we went to Unicorn, but that gave me a bit of a jolt. We were shopping because we wanted to go to the shop, not because we couldn't make do with what we had. We're still within budget, but it was an interesting thing to notice how we were grocery shopping for recreation rather than need. 

When we first started cutting back in 2004 we were spending £650 on food every month, not including the assorted coffee and sandwiches we ate at work - I was out of the house for 14 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week so nothing was cooked from scratch and to be honest I was a bit of a zombie. Over the course of a year we slashed that monthly total to £90, because I changed job, it made things so much easier. 

In the first ten days of this month we spent £83.11 (!) in the second ten days we have spent £14.35 including £7.50 points used for almond milks Dan returned home with last night. I think we're starting to see where some of our money leaks come from - we need to strike a balance between my small shops for things we need and Dan's need to know we have enough stuff. On my part we need to not stock up at the start of the month.  I don't like thinking we'll run out of nuts or something expensive, so I always buy them first. We've never run out and even if we did I'd buy a small bag to tide us over, even if was slightly more expensive per kilo. February will be structured differently as it's the first of three savings push months, I'm hoping to slash all budgets to the bone for this period to boost the bathroom fund. 



Comments

  1. That is a massive change in spending. I agree the little stops leak the budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can hardly believe it, I would really struggle to spend that now even if I wanted to!

      Delete
  2. Wow that was a big spend every month but I can see when you are working long hours how this happens. What a difference now, you manage incredibly well , have a nice weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just one of those things, it's madness but things have the potential to just spiral. I can't imagine how much waste we must have had back then too.

      Hope you're enjoying your weekend so far.

      Delete
  3. We go shopping too much. It's a hard habit to break too. We go for milk and spend on bargains
    Except they are not really bargains because we really didn't need them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment