Skip to main content

One Me


On the radio this morning there was much chat about the new thingamy from the public health people that lots of us over 40s are lazy fatties who are storing up health problems for the future. The One You initiative has launched to get lazy creatures* such as myself up and at 'em.

Seven years ago I loved exercise and did it almost everyday, then we put our house on the market and we packed away our large pieces of exercise equipment for viewings and I just got out of the habit, and I've never got back into it. So although I'm not overweight I certainly am not as active as I could or should be. A friend I know through fitness things took the One You test and she was very annoyed to have it suggest she doesn't do enough exercise and she could consider Couch to 5k. Considering she runs multiple times a week and is currently training for a marathon I can see why she was unimpressed! On the other hand, all I do is walk about and carry heavy things round the charity shop I was told I was doing well. Make of that what you will! 

So we went for a walk today, walking is something I can easily do, I like doing and is sustainable for me, going to a class or to the gym just isn't my thing at all. We had a nice walk along the beach to Lytham, via Fairhaven Lake. I patted four dogs - a spaniel, a lab, something that may have been a cockerpoo and a bulldog - dogs are the main lure of beach walking.



The marshy part was very frosty, but the sun was gorgeous.



We did stop off at the pub on the way home but it doesn't alter the fact that I made the effort! Hopefully it's the first wander of many in the coming year. 

*I'm only calling myself a lazy creature, not anyone else who may or may not exercise for whatever reason that may be!

Comments

  1. I know without any test I need to get moving more and lifting ore-cardio and weights. Good luck to you and perhaps we all will motivate each other in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a buddy for motivation!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful walk. I know I do far less exercising now that I don't have a dog. I did the 1000 mile challenge this year but I'm sure I could do better if I put my mind to it. Stopping at the pub is obligatory in my opinion. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust your opinion so now I will add the pub to routes of a certain distance!

      Having a dog is a great way to get out and about, but then sometimes I look out of the window when it's wet and wild and I'm glad to have bunnies!

      Delete
  3. You can't beat a walk, since moving to this place I got a cross trainer but then I found out pounding away did not do my arthritis any good at all, the only exercise for me is really walking, I plan to do much much next year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is a good all rounder isn't it, good for the heart, it's load bearing and it's good for the mind too.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous postcard views, what a beautiful place to live.
    Being called lazy does not seem like a good motivator.
    Catching more flies with honey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place, although it's so easy for me to overlook it as it's right here for me to enjoy.

      I think the public health people phrased it a little more kindly than I did (but I think it's what they meant).

      Delete
  5. I walk every day, do exercise every day and take care of our house. In spite of eating healthy I'm overweight. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, those genetics scupper our best plans at times don't they. Diabetes is in my family so it may catch up with me no matter how hard I try, we shall see.

      Delete
  6. Walking is my favourite exercise, I find it cathartic and medative. Beach walking is DEFINITELY my favourite type of walk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking is my fave exercise too, its a shame i don't do it much and i have put on weight that i am embarrassed to say that i don't fit in some of my clothing. I have moved to the Welsh valleys a couple of years back and have been lazy to explore the wonders around me and there are so many, so hope to remedy that next year plus more time in the garden. Wishing you a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really easy to overlook what's right under your nose in favour of somewhere else, I do it all the time.

      The garden is certainly on my to do list for next year. Happy new year to you.

      Delete
  8. Love your beach pix. I love beach walks in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a beautiful day. There's rarely a bad time to go to the beach!

      Delete
  9. Ilona is doing her walk 1000 miles in a year challenge again this year over on her life after money blog. Lots of us have just completed it for 2016 and it certainly motivated me to walk more. My exercise consists solely of walking and yoga at home which I've done for years. I don't need to pay for classes or use any equipment and I hate gyms so it works for me. Give the walking challenge a go it's a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Ilona's challenge last year. I have started making a note of the distances I've walked, thank you.

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year! Sorry it's a bit late and I haven't commented for a while - must do better this year! You live in a beautiful place for walking. Great photos! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, lovely to hear from you.

      Delete

Post a Comment