Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Thank You To My Niece


Dan's off work this week, so we've had a few days out. Yesterday we went to Kendal, mainly to visit Abbot Hall Art Gallery (admission £3.50 with Art Pass), there are currently two very good exhibitions one People On Paper has works from some great modern artists - David Hockney, Elisabeth Frink (I didn't know that so it was a wonderful surprise), Frank Auerbach and Stanley Spencer to name but a few, and also an exhibition by US artist Paul Jenkins. Well worth a visit, both exhibitions run until 17th December 2016.

After visiting the gallery we decided to have a peep into some of the charity shops to see what they had to offer. We noted a couple of shops on our way for a coffee at Brew Brothers - a place with nice coffee and three non-dairy milks on offer (soya, almond and rice). We almost didn't go back to the charity shop we'd passed, then remembered and quickly doubled back. Our first stop was RSPCA where I was delighted to pick up a Charley Harper block puzzle for my niece for a pound. There's a small tear to the box but the puzzle is in perfect condition. 

As we queued up pay my eyes wandered around then I did about a quadruple take on an item under the cash desk next to a food mixer. 


A Festival Of Britain official guide! At that point I think I just started to emit a high pitched sound and repeatedly tapped on the glass until Dan noticed what I was pointing at. The lady behind the counter looked very concerned that we would want to spend £10 on such a thing and suggested we might want to examine it first, "no thanks" we replied. 

How exciting! 




It's full of lovely adverts, and information about the various festival sites and things to see






And it looks at home next to the Royal Festival Hall guide Dan gave to me for my birthday. Happy happy happy day!

A refund for the shoes is on the way, the owner of the company replied t Dan informing him that they should never have been sent out in that condition. So that's that, the customer service has been as good as I had expected and have no complaints in that regard. Onwards and upwards. 

Today Dan is making bread and I'll be making some stew, maybe a nice pot of chilli, and working on my festive craft project - more of that soon. 

12 comments:

  1. Glad you found something nice at the charity shop. Very cold certainly stew and chilly weather. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I dug out the slow cooker yesterday, it was ideal.

      Delete
  2. What a great find, certainly worth doing the rounds of the charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been lucky in charity shops there before so we know it's worth taking a look, I am so happy we did!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the charity shop fairies were on your side today. What a great piece of emphemera to cherish.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were, I have had some good hings come my way over the years but this has to be the best.

      Delete
  4. So glad you got a refund for the shoes. Great finds on your day out.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, the company suggested we take the shoes to a charity shop, but we wouldn't have sold them in that state.

      Delete
  5. What a great find!!

    Glad the customer service was so good.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That exhibition sounds wonderful and what fab finds in the charity shop. I'm glad you sorted out a refund on your boots did you manage to find a pair in new look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Look was not the place for me, I admire their ethical stance for a High Street shop but the shoes on offer just weren't quite right for me on this occasion.

      The exhibition was so good, a fabulous splash of colour on a chilly grey day. It's a gallery we'll keep an eye on now, it's not too far from here so hopefully we can add it to our regular places.

      Delete