Skip to main content

Red Things

Our break wasn't all gadding about looking at art, there was a lot of domestic bliss too. Dan was a bread making machine, the freezer is now very full of dough. I dug out the slow cooker to make some chilli, I have no idea how long it is since I last used it, but I get the impression it had been a while.



It was a bit on the dusty side. 

We bought a red cabbage weeks ago but hadn't used it, we tend to make coleslaw or use it in salads, but for some reason it had been ignored. So I decided to make braised cabbage. I looked at lots of recipes until I found one that used only things I already had in the house, so balsamic braised red cabbage it was. I also made hash



It was very simple, just slice the cabbage, cook it in some melted butter, oil, or whatever you prefer for about 5 minutes until it starts to wilt, add some sugar - I used 6 tsp for a full cabbage, the original recipe suggested 6 tsp for half a cabbage. Pour over the vinegar, I used just over half a cup as that's what was in the bottle, stir to coat, stick a lid on the pan and cook it for about half an hour. My pan was a bit too small for the amount of cabbage so it took a bit longer than that. Season very well with salt and pepper then serve alongside a massive bowl of hash.



There is now a massive amount of red cabbage in the freezer for us to work through, and I've used up the balsamic vinegar just in time for my mum to buy me another one for Christmas! This simple stuff gave me more time to concentrate on my sewing project, which I hope to finish today, I just need to find the saw. Nothing can go wrong now!



Comments

  1. The braised cabbage sounds delicious. Your sewing project sounds mysterious, I hope you are you going to post about it when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tasty, a good use of things we already had in the pantry. All will be revealed with the craft project.

      Delete
  2. I've never cooked cabbage before. Closest is a bag of sauerkraut. It's nice to have somethings you like waiting in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't really cabbage eaters when I was growing up so it's quite a new thing for me. I love to have a few little extras in the freezer just to perk up a meal.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It may still be when you see what I've created!

      Delete
  4. "I just needed to find the saw."


    In a sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you take that sentence in isolation it does sound a bit odd!

      Delete
  5. The cabbage looks delicious, didn't realize you could freeze it after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tasty. I saw a bag of frozen cabbage at the supermarket so I thought if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!

      Delete
  6. Interesting assortment of craft supplies there.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising what mounts up in the cupboard.

      Delete
  7. I make, from time to time, ham in cherry cola and always always buy a red cabbage to cook in the cooking liquor. It's really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are great fans of braised red cabbage and I do a batch for the special meals throughout the season. I add a few apples to mine and use red wine vinegar. Looking forward to the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy cabbage with apples too, but I didn't have any so had to do without this time around, I'll add some next time.

      Delete
  9. I've only ever had red cabbage raw in salads. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it in salads too but this is totally different and very tasty.

      Delete

Post a Comment