Skip to main content

Pantry Check In


Like a lot of people, we spend a lot of time out and about in December so we really need to keep the budget as tight as possible. We've been through the pantry and freezer hoping to find lots of goodies. What we found was very promising so the menu plan and shopping list are done for the month. Edited to add should anyone wish to see my menu plans they are available via the menu plans 2016 tab at the top of the page. 



I've already crossed a couple of things off the master shopping list (before I break it down week by week) as I bought one or two things last night as we really only needed almond milk and flour to see us to the end of November. 

The main ingredients for our meals on December 25th and 26th are safely stashed in the pantry too, no stressing for us hopefully. Dan wants to make some brownies for pudding so we need a few things for that, but chocolate, walnuts, flour, bananas - they're all things we'll use up. Plus I've written absolutely everything needed to make everything we want to make, obviously a fair bit of that will be crossed off when we do our final check before we hit the supermarket.


Dan's domain
We've well and truly changed the look of the pantry after switching supermarkets at the start of this year too, we have the shop own brand products everywhere! It's been good though as we also buy lots more from the health food shop, that's generally more expensive but between switching supermarket, buying certain things from Home Bargains and making more of our own things like bread and houmous our average food budget has gone down by over £20 a month. Not bad considering we didn't scrimp at all. Hopefully that means we'll be able to adapt well if and when the anticipated price rises kick in next year. Damn you Brexit. 

Comments

  1. You are certainly well organized I think it must be the time of year, as I am really organized with the store cupboard and the freezer. I am impressed that you do a menu plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be cereal for every meal some weeks if I didn't have a plan!

      Delete
  2. Well done! I am ready for a pantry clear-out, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to discover nothing was out of date and the only thing I've been avoiding is a huge tin of water chestnuts Dan brought home one evening!

      Delete
  3. We are doing the same in December, and next year I will be starting a grocery challenge as I really need and want to simplify things. I love Home Bargains, I regularly pop up there now as there prices are good, I did notice my cheap dishwasher tablets went up 30p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be blogging about your grocery challenge. I'm hoping to really get hold of things next year so I will be looking for ideas from everyone.

      Home Bargains is a great shop, I'm so happy we have one in the town, I too have noticed a few items have increased in price, still cheaper than elsewhere though thankfully.

      Delete
    2. Yes I will blog weekly about it, it is good to help each other out in the difficult times which might be around the corner.

      Delete
    3. That's good to hear, you're so right we do need to share our finds, tips and difficulties, we never know when something small will help someone else.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like such a good idea and something we need to do here actually.

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good exercise, it's surprising how many meals you can think of using ingredients already in the cupboards (even if some of them are a bit weird!)

      Delete
  5. You are very organised!!!! Ahrgh, what price increases (coming from someone who has no TV, doesn't listen to radio, read the newspaper or newswebsites on the internet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a tidy pantry!

      There have been reports that the cost of certain foods will increase next year. There has already been a bit of fuss over Marmite and other products, Tesco weren't going to stock them due to a price battle with the producer who were saying prices would have to increase due to the value of the pound dropping. Other brands have reduced the size of products in order to keep the price the same - people are very upset about Toblerone!

      Delete
  6. I only have to get the items necessary for our Christmas dinner, and fresh veggies and dairy this upcoming month. I am hoping to cut back on my grocery spending, but with prices rising it might be a bit difficult to get a handle on.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's good to be able to offset the cost of Christmas by using up what we already have. I think a lot of us will be keeping a very close eye on the grocery budget next year.

      Delete
  7. Like you, I try to keep our pantry and freezer stocked so we don't make so many trips to the groc store..every time I go for only milk and bread, I come home with way more that those 2 items..so if I can stay out of the groc store, I have more money in my pocket. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment