Saturday, 19 November 2016

Leftovers

I tend to plan leftovers, as what's better than curry or stew that's been left in the fridge overnight and reheated to fill a jacket potato? This week I had some genuinely left over food. I'd made a big pan of spicy rice the other evening but there was too much veg mixture so I put some to one side before adding the rice, and there it sat in the fridge. It needed to be used, as did the two flat mushrooms that I didn't stuff on Thursday, so I started to cobble something together. As well as the veg mixture I took a few cubes of roast sweet potato out of the freezer and half a sheet of puff pastry - I just cut the sheets in half when I buy them and shove them back in the box to freeze.


The bean mixture was heated up along with mashed sweet potato then I wrapped it with the pastry. There was still more left over amazingly so I stuffed the mushrooms with it. Into the oven it went. 


I've never bought ready to eat rice before, but this was reduced to clear at Booths so we thought it was worth a try. I occasionally buy things like this to get ideas for new things to make myself. This was a winner, nice and spicy, I'll work on my own version. 


No, I'm not a low carb person!

12 comments:

  1. Leftovers are one of my favourites too, although I'm not as imaginative as you and would just eat them as they are. I like carbs too. I think we're a dying breed. 😉 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, people tend to assume that because I'm vegan I'm also into super healthy eating! Recently a man at a cafe said "I assume you want wholemeal bread then" he laughed at my look of horror!

      Delete
  2. First time ever I've bought packet puff pastry last week but it just didn't puff up not sure what I did wrong. It was pre- rolled from Sainsbury's I did exactly as it said placed it on top of pie and popped in oven flat as a pancake no puff at all very disappointing. Your pastys look fab and I'm all for using up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that's strange. The stuff I use is ready rolled, I even roll it a bit more when it's defrosted and it always works for me. I wonder what went wrong with the pack you had.

      Delete
  3. Clever ways to pull the leftovers together. I font have sweet potatoes but on my list for Thanksgiving goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I guess they're a must have for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. I tend to plan leftovers too but occasionally get a glut of leftovers that need using up. Loved the tip about halving the pastry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like to keep it simple and I really need to moderate my pastry intake! Planned leftovers are great.

      Delete
  5. My problem with leftovers is that I make too much!!! I still think I am feeding two growing boys sometimes. I then end up with bits and pieces that need to be made into something else.

    This all after my planned stew, chili and meat sauce/spaghetti leftovers.

    God bless.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it's hard to scale down after being so used to cooking for a crowd.

      Delete
  6. Mmmmm.. I love sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potatoes are back on the menu here, I bought so many a little while ago I needed to take a break as I was so sick of them!

      Delete