Thursday, 17 November 2016

It's Not Cloth, It's Textiles

It turns out that we were legitimate guests at the gallery last night after all. The Art Fund had helped to fund some new acquisitions at the gallery so as members we were invited, along with Friends of the Harris. Everyone else seemed to know each other so I think we were maybe the only Art Fund people on this occasion. 

The first part of the talk was about Alastair Morton and Edinburgh Weavers, as the gallery has obtained some of his drawings, which we were able to handle in their plastic wallets as the collection hasn't yet been framed, very exciting. There were also examples of his fabrics as he also designed for local Preston fashion company Horrockses, including this sunsuit. I didn't know much about the subject so it was really interesting to learn more and of course to see the things so close up. 

The second part of the talk covered textiles with a link to the local area more generally, again with a couple of examples for us to see but not touch. I knew a fair bit more about this, but it was still interesting as I think we were in the minority. I took a sneaky photograph as one of the new acquisitions looked quite familiar...


In the background behind the amazing Painted Desert - Althea McNish (1959) which is also a Hull Traders design is our old friend Kaplan by Shirley Craven (1961). How exciting!

Here it is a little closer to home, still looking bright on a grey, hazy morning. 



I first mentioned it here, some of you may recall that I ended up at my former lecturer's house waiting for Father to bail me out the day we collected it. 

Today is a quick dash round the house putting things straight, lots of putting away of laundry, and then maybe some time to work on my quilt. Stuffed mushrooms for tea and that's about it.




6 comments:

  1. How exciting. I love that McNish print. Glorious. I bet you had a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are amazing aren't they. It was a really enjoyable evening, we were able to talk to the gallery manager about funding and plans for the future (Dan does some funding work for arts projects as part of his job) so it was interesting.

      Delete
  2. What a great event, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, I would have liked to take a few more pictures to share but it wasn't possible. I'll just encourage local people to get themselves to Preston instead!

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you had a lovely and informative night. How amazing that your old friend Kaplan was there. I do so love it against the colour you used on the walls.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a nice evening. It was interesting to see them display Kaplan the other way up to how we have it, gave it a different feel.

      Delete