Friday, 18 November 2016

In A Stew

I love chestnuts, whether it's a bag from a stall at the festive market or little sweet ones from a jar they're just one of my favourite thing about this time of year. It was wet and gloomy yesterday so I decided it was time to make something chestnutty - good old stew. 

This is a variation of an old Waitrose Christmas recipes from years ago, see here. Until I looked again at the original recipe I'd forgotten about the walnut pastry, I'll make that again sometime, it's very nice. I don't have any beer so made a savoury stock. 



I also pad the stew/pie filling out with some green lentils, the carrots and parsnips are from the basics range. The chestnuts are from Home Bargain and cost £1.19, that's more than last year when they were only 99p.  I also roughly chop the chestnuts to stretch them too. 

Roughly chop the veg, I have to chop the root veg fairly small otherwise Dan wouldn't be able to digest it easily, cook for a few minutes then add everything else, and a tbsp of flour to thicken (I used gram flour as it's all I had). 



Cover with stock, I used about 1 1/2 tsp of yeast extract, I'd probably leave this out if I used beer. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for as long as it takes the lentils and veg to soften nicely.


I use this in a number of different ways - to make pie, either shortcrust or puff pastry, as a stew just with some mash and veg, with a herby cobbler topping, dumplings or with layered potatoes on top. I've never made it into a crumble, but I'm sure it would be good! This made enough for two meals for the two of us. 

The mushrooms remain unstuffed. 

I've decided to start including more food posts as I look at the vegan recipes on lots of other blogs and they're far more aspirational, expensive, raw, light, contain "cheese", or ingredients that I just wouldn't buy. I'm sure there must be other people that feel the same so I'm just throwing in some cheaper and less fancy ideas. 

16 comments:

  1. This is a lovely looking recipe. The pastry looks super. I will check b&m for the chestnuts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The pastry is really nice, I'll make that next time round.

      Delete
  2. That sounds fab I wouldn't have thought about throwing chestnuts into a stew. Although not vegan or vegetarian we don't eat a great deal of meat so good veg recipes are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm not the most confident cook in the world so am always a bit nervous about posting about food, I hope you find these posts useful.

      Delete
  3. I'll appreciate seeing more vegan recipes. I have to start shifting some weight and find too much of what I eat has too many fillers do I'm reaching for snacks too often. This recipe looks hearty and filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this is one of the meals I really look forward to preparing (well, eating) when the weather turns colder, it's certainly not one to eat year round!

      Glad to hear you're happy to read food posts.

      Delete
  4. That looks a good hearty stew. I'm definitely going to try this. I like cheap and less fancy so it's perfect. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you enjoy it, there's plenty of scope for tweaking to your own taste.

      I'll be sure to share some of my budget meal ideas along the way.

      Delete
  5. I have memories of my Dad roasting chestnuts when I was little many moons ago but don't really remember having them since. Next time I go to Home Bargains I will be picking some up and giving them a try. Whilst not vegetarian we don't eat meat every day so its nice to find some different recipes to try with ingredients I would have in the store cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely memory. I think I had them when I was little but then not again until maybe 10 years ago, I am making up for lost time!

      I love a store cupboard meal, I enjoy having to be creative with the ingredients when there's not much fresh veg around.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this, it will be dinner tomorrow with either puff pastry or sweet potato and leek mash on top. I look forward to reading more foodie posts, I like a tried and tested recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you enjoy it, it's very easy to alter to your taste. I've never had this with sweet potato mash but I like the sound of it, I sometimes do an orange and sage drizzle on sweet potato mash too, yummy.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I put the other portion into a freezer contain straight away so we weren't tempted to have seconds!

      Delete
  8. That looks delicious, do you think it would work if you added either curry spices, or chilli?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it, but I think it would work with curry certainly. I've seen recipes for curried chestnut soup so the flavours must work well together. I've made a different version of this stew with hot and smoked paprika in it as well as sage and that's very nice too.

      Delete