Skip to main content

I'll Look Like A Squash

Dan's going away for a few days so I have to be prepared, otherwise there is the danger I'll survive on a diet of dry granola and Pom Bear. 

Early this morning I was roasting yet another squash (this one had a disappointingly small amount of seeds) to make a batch of curry and coconut soup, some for my lunches, to take to the football on Saturday, and for Dan to take today - he's off to Norwich, which is a fair old drive. Leftovers are my friend for my other meals, I've been cooking extra for the past couple of days so I have ready meals waiting for me in the fridge - the easy option is the option I take when I'm on my own.

Yesterday I used some roast veg from the freezer to make a tagine type thing.


 No recipe as such, just chuck the veg, chickpeas, spices, a splash of passata and a little water into a pan (I also added a very small amount of red lentils and 1/2 tsp smoked garlic powder). Cook for a good long time. 


We had ours with brown rice. I usually make my own spice mixes but I treated myself to an order from Seasoned Pioneers last month, they're convenience food in spice form!

I can't claim to be frugaller of the week this week as we've both ordered some new shoes, more of that when they arrive, but I have been saving in other areas - save where it doesn't matter so you can spend where it does and all that.

I remembered to have a poke around the house for birthday cards before buying the two I needed - found two that fit the bill. I also established we don't need to buy any Christmas cards, we don't send many but we do need a few. Oh, I cancelled a magazine subscription - we're taking a break from veg growing next year so I don't need successful growers taunting me!

Happily we saw one of the vets we like when taking Big Grey for a check on her face, she gave another injection but said we didn't need to go back for a third, saving us more than £30. Speaking of rabbits, I "earned" an extra 50p worth of Nectar points from Sainsbury's, I needed bunny veg anyway so made sense to shop there. 

Agreed to do another shift at the charity shop this week as we're short handed, a good way to pass some time, I was bribed with Lotus biscuits, they know me so well. 

Comments

  1. That squash dish sounds delicious. I just took the last of my frozen soup portions yesterday so need to restock by over cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ideal for a cool night, a real kick to it.

      Delete
  2. I'm never going to be frugaler of the week either lol There are frugal choices and frugal choices some blogs I read go way beyond anything I would consider doing to save money but each to their own and I do admire those that manage to thrift so much. I have no luck buying from charity shops and believe me I look often I just don't have an eye for thrifted clothes. I've saved money on bills and always cook from scratch we don't spend on take outs etc and I don't buy as many clothes since I stopped working so that will have to do on the frugal front for me. I do a small amount of buying and selling on eBay and ziffit etc and that money goes into our travel fund but I think life is too short to worry too much re can I buy that cheaper somewhere else etc. I always make my own spice mixes as I love to cook and bake so one of my guilty pleasures is buying spices from Steenburgs not a frugal thing to do lol. Your tagine looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Sounds like you have a nice balance. We have cut lots of things out when necessary, but now things are better we spend on things we enjoy. Although I'm not the biggest fa of cooking I do like to try new herbs and spices so I have a splurge occasionally. We use a lot of the same ingredients time and again so a good stock of spices keeps things interesting.

      Delete
  3. Lots of good things!!! I'm often the sane when my husband is away with eating. Glad Bunny is ok and didn't need his extra jab. I'm off to my favourite bunny emporium tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small but pleasing things! I think I got the better end of the deal, Dan appears to be staying in something called "the countryside", I've heard of it but have never felt the urge to spend any time there.

      Have fun with the buns!

      Delete
  4. Your Tagine dish looks delicious. We're enjoying plenty of winter warmer food here now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was very nice. I'm just trying to show how we get a bit of variety into our meals using very similar ingredients.

      Delete

Post a Comment