Skip to main content

Red, Gold And Green



These are the colours of my weekend, along with claret & blue of course (big kiss to Super Scotty Arfield). Along with a great victory we had the pleasure of meeting Speedo Mick, who was there in his trademark blue swimming trunks raising money and doing his bit to kick cancer into touch

Today has been very domesticated, Dan has cut the lawn and tried to wrestle as much greenery into the garden waste bin as possible, he's done a grand job but behind the garage is still stuffed with the stuff. We'll get through it eventually! He's also made some bread. I've been in the kitchen too, peeler in hand, dealing with lots of lovely veg. 



Some of it became curried lentil soup 



I'll deal with the rest tomorrow. I kept it simple today only using a few other ingredients, the smoked garlic and tamari were used to roast the squash seeds, but they didn't last very long!



I also used a sheet of puff pastry to make a nut roast plait, or as close to a plait as my slapdash approach could manage. While it cooked I made some more flowers for the festive wreath.  



Soup and nut roast plait for tea I think!






Comments

  1. I bought my daughter the Hummus Brothers cookbook for Christmas (one of my $2.00 bargains) and am paging through it for falafel recipes for later in week. I'm holding off on soup as so much is frozen but a good stew will be on my menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, I'd never heard of them but after a little searching I saw I could get hold of their book for £3.99 so I may give it a try.

      I love a good stew, hope your falafel turn out well.

      Delete
  2. A very productive weekend for both yourselves and, of course, the Clarets. The flowers are lovely. Are you following a pattern? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The football was soooooo stressful. I was waiting for Dan at the end and a lady came up to me and said "we all feel how you look" so I must have had quite some expression on my face!

      I did pinch the flower idea from somewhere online, there's a tutorial here, but I don't think this is where I first saw it -

      http://kindawonderful.typepad.com/pink_paper_peppermints/2008/05/31-crafty-flo-3.html

      Delete
  3. ohhh could you please publish your nut roast plait recipe or how you make it! It looks lovely and I need to get out of a rut food wise. THanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment didn't disappear!

      The nut roast plait is more of an "assemble" than a recipe. I used a nut roast mix and some frozen pastry (I'm trying to work through my overstuffed pantry!) I just made the nut roast according to instructions, I used a Suma one. Then rolled out the sheet of pastry to be a bit thinner, put the raw nut roast mix in a line down the centre of the pastry, cut 2cm wide strips all the way down the pastry and folded it over. As simple as that.

      I do intend to make my own nut roast at some point, but this was certainly the lazy girl approach!

      Delete
    2. I am off to try this. We will have it later this week! Thanks. Anything to jazz up dinner time. Thank you!!!

      Delete
    3. Hope you like it, the mix we had contained a few cranberries but I'd be tempted to add a blob of cranberry sauce or chutney to it if there was no fruit.

      Delete
  4. The soup sounds delicious. Looking forward to seeing the festive wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a soup I make all the time, so simple but always feels a bit luxurious. If the sun ever comes out I'll share a picture of the wreath, I finished it last night.

      Delete
  5. Lovely flowers!! I bet the wreath is going to be beautiful.

    I think the plait looks great.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plait tasted delicious, very filling too so there's enough left for tonight!

      I am really happy with the wreath, I kept it simple but I think it works.

      Delete
  6. Loving the flowers Mrs.
    Our lawn had its final cut and I finally prunes my rose - the warm sunny weather that's still here is keeping everything lush and green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you!

      The weather this weekend was fabulous in the main, I had my sandals on yesterday *yay*.

      Delete
  7. Sol was singing the praises of your plait, so I had to come and take a look. Ooh, that looks good!
    Love your flowers too, very pretty TD! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, thanks for dropping in.

      Delete

Post a Comment