Skip to main content

It'll Grow Back

Those are the wise words passed on to me from Father when I asked about cutting back the plant jumble at the bottom of the garden, I've spoken of it before here and elsewhere. 

What he actually said was it would grow back and if it didn't he would get me a new version of whatever it was. This made me feel very bold, and today was the day instead of a trip to St Bees. We know there are at least three roses, a honeysuckle, a thing with berries, way too much ivy and probably other things in the jumble so off we went. I did the small snipping, and was not trusted with the saw. 

Yes I have got the before and after pictures the right way round, yes, I know it doesn't look better!

9.26 am


11.37 am


The clump of ivy towards the centre is still there as the fence would probably fall down without it, it's not our fence so we have no desire to mess about with it. I do like the wall though.

There is a lot of sweeping to do and a pile of debris taller than me outside the garage. Oh well, it must mean time for a cup of tea.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It's gorgeous, such a contrast to the look of the house too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, only some minor injuries to deal with afterwards!

      Delete
  3. Your dad is wise. It really does usually come back. We absolutely massacred the foliage at the back of my old house and that old tree was so resillient- it came back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of it I don't want to grow back, but at least it will be easier to deal with now!

      Delete
  4. Yes, these things have to be done! I cut a shrub rose down to almost nothing because it was so overgrown, but I'm betting it will grow back. I like your music-themed mugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan did actually bring his back from one of his trips to Memphis, I am a huge They Might Be Giants fan but didn't get the mug from anywhere exciting, just from Manchester the last time we went to see them perform.

      I'm sure we'll both be enjoying roses for years to come.

      Delete
  5. Great job, how much more space do you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The whole garden was like this when we moved in, year by year we've been controlling the back and properly dealing with the rest. I didn't want to leave the back any longer as it had to go but birds nest there so I didn't want it to be another year before we could tackle it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, it will, and I won't be scared to chop it again if needed!

      Delete
  7. Great clean up. I understand perfectly about the ivy. We chopped some down once and part of the fence fell down.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The ivy is everywhere, now most of it has gone I should find it easier to pull bits out as and when.

      Delete
  8. That is some transformation. You now have more garden space. I suspect that some of the over growth may have come from the next door garden. I'm sure your plants will grow again if they have a good root system.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You are absolutely right, lots of it is from the house across from us.

      I'm confident things will grow back, I'm also interested to see if there are other plants we don't know about. I chopped a section of the back away last year and discovered we had fuschia growing under the tree!

      Delete

Post a Comment