Sunday, 2 October 2016

In The Bathroom

More news of the grand declutter, the bathroom was a very satisfying room to sort out to sort out and I'm more than happy with the result, but there's lots of room for improvement. No before photograph, sorry. 

I thought I'd have loads of half filled bottles of cleaning stuff hanging around but I was happy to find only this 


The rest of the container just holds cleaning cloths etc. I don't like having the mould spray, but it was the only thing that would touch the mess left by the leaking roof. When the bathroom cleaner is gone I won't replace it as I mainly use the steam cleaner now.


There's only a tiny bit left. 

Onto toiletries. We have settled on some products we like, and that agree with Dan's skin, so we don't have lots of different types of shampoo etc.


I nicked one of the trolleys from the pantry to keep all the spares in one place. There's a hair conditioner on the second shelf, I won't replace that when it's gone. I don't wear nail polish but I have the bottle of remover and don't know how to get rid of it, it will probably come in useful, maybe when I hot glue my fingers together or something.


This is everything else, my things are to the left*. I admit I got a bit over excited with hair products, I think they were on 3-4-2 or something. I don't often use product on my hair now it's longer so I'll stick to one thing in future. There are a few things that won't be replaced here, the black Lush tub is very nearly empty, I love this product but I can make a salt scrub myself, the tin of foot stuff is almost empty, again I love this product but won't replace it for now, but I'll probably be tempted the next time I see the company at a fair. The third thing is a bottle of body lotion, it's absolutely gorgeous and the fragrance is amazing, but I always reach for the almond oil when I get out of the shower, so it gets overlooked. 

Hopefully this time next year we'll be even more streamlined, although I am happy that I now have an empty cupboard (other than the two things at the back that I just can't reach!)



*I know the dental floss isn't sfv but I bought loads a few years ago and I'm still going through it. 

16 comments:

  1. I am impressed, we seem to have such a load of toiletries that never get used (gifts). You have given me the kick I needed to sort them all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gift sets are one thing I can't stand. I am very open that they'll go straight to the charity shop should anyone buy them for me!

      Delete
  2. It feels great to minimise the number of products you use. I never really was one for having lots of different shampoos, etc. I am still in the process of using some non-natural stuff up, but aren't far off getting to a place where I'm happy with the products I'm using.

    Having said this, I do like to try new things now and again and see if they work for me. If they don't I usually go back to tried and tested things I like. It must be lovely to have an empty shelf in the cupboard and not be compelled to fill it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We mainly had lots of products as Dan is so sensitive, even sensitive skin products can be too harsh. Very frustrating for him.

      Delete
  3. We can probably exist on shampoo, soap, deodorant and after-shave - just the first 2 for me. I'm trying to get through the remaining conditioner.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could get buy with a stripped back basic kit, but do I just want to exist and get by, not really.

      If it fits in the budget and gets used up then I'm happy.

      Delete
  4. I must check out this Faith For Men stuff, for my clergyman husband!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I should be making a comment about the fragrance being "heavenly" or some such thing!

      Delete
  5. You could use the nail varnish remover to remove stubborn jam jar labels :-) Went to count our shampoos, five different ones for six people. Feeling slightly ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, thank you.

      It's so easy to unknowingly end up with a multitude of products, that's why I started whittling things down a couple of years ago. I don't mind what we own as long as we use it, but the amount of plastic bottles in the cupboard was ridiculous!

      Delete
  6. Well done with the decluttering.
    Nail varnish can be used to remove stubborn sticky labels.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the sticky label tip, thank you.

      It's nice to have cleared everything out, we've been able to make a proper list of things we want/need now we know what we own, well worth the effort.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Nail varnish remover, not nail varnish.
      Carolx

      Delete
    3. I assumed that's what you meant, although I am taken with the idea that if I can't get rid of a sticker I could just make it prettier by painting it!

      Delete
  7. The thing we get a lot of are Lush bath ballistics. We have a bath but never use it, we're shower people, so end up washing hands with broken off chunks! We still have some from years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get a lot of bubble baths and things, I too am a shower person so they were used as handwash, bathroom cleaner and anything else they could be used for, but never the intended purpose.

      Delete