Skip to main content

Home And Away

The final questions for now. 

This was the first question to arrive, and the hardest to answer, history is not my strong point, I know shamefully little about history in general, in fact I always say all I know about the 20th Century comes from the Billy Joel song We Didn't Start The Fire! Still, I'll do my best and I do thank Sam  for making me think so hard. 


Would you talk more about your town or village - unique aspects, history... what brought you there or has it always been home?

Until I was asked this question all I knew about the history of St Anne's on the Sea was that it grew out of a fishing village in the late 1800s, is a planned town aaaand that's about it. If you say to anyone from outside the area that you live in St Anne's no-one will have a clue where you mean, if you say Lytham St Anne's people will have a small chance of knowing, if you say "it's next to Blackpool" pretty much everyone will know! Luckily for me someone else has done all the hard work and provides a nice potted history here.

Having had a little read around it appears that the town exists purely to make money! It was developed for people to spend time at the seaside, relax and play golf. Which, to be honest is the reason people come to visit even now! The main thing St Anne's is known for is golf. The Open has been held at Royal Lytham & St Anne's eleven times, most recently in 2012. Even when I knew nothing about golf at all I knew that Seve Ballesteros won The Open after playing a neat shot from the car park in the 70's, well that was here!


What brought us here was work. Well, I have always wanted to live near the sea and when a job came up over this way we went for it. We've been here for 6 1/2 years and hopefully we'll be here for many more. It's very quiet and peaceful but it's easy to hope on the train or into the car to get to the motorway and off to wherever we like. 

Another tough question came from here, Mamas Mercantile. 

Where would you like to go on holiday if money were no object?

This is so difficult as I'm not really a holiday person, but I've given it some thought and have come up with two visits (well, probably more like seven visits) to the same country. Firstly I remembered an idea my friend Em has suggested to us. Em is from Croatia but lives in Germany and she has invited us to take a road trip with her from her home near Hamburg to pick up her parents in the south and off to their holiday home in Croatia. Of course I would want to visit a few other places too, I would love to visit Berlin, I believe the vegan food is fabulous, and there would be lots of art to see. Speaking of which we'd have to visit Dessau and Weimar to explore the Bauhaus sites (both UNESCO World Heritage sites) we would have to cross over to Cologne as we have friends there too.

The second holiday, and something we have discussed in the past would be to attend the Four Hills ski jumping tournament. This is an annual event that takes place over New Year. We'd start in Oberstdorf, Germany, moving on to Garmisch-Partenkirchen then cross into Austria to Innsbruck and finishes, just before my birthday in Bischofshofen. That would be ideal for me, just about 10 days away with lots of fun in between!

Thanks everyone, it's been lots of fun, and surprisingly difficult to think about these things, a great week.  

Comments

  1. As ex military we have lived in Germany for several years in different places. Such a beautiful country and well worth the trip if the opportunity ever arises. Thank you for answering my question, I would like to travel the world whilst that will never happen its nice to dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a fun question. I've never been a holiday person so haven't really been anywhere, but Germany has always appealed to me.

      It is nice to dream.

      Delete
  2. When is the Golf coming back? Just curious as my boyfriend is very keen to go and see it. Me, not so much!

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzie, the golf won't return here for quite some time, but I seem to think that in 2017 it will be at Royal Birkdale, Southport, so still very easy to get to from where you are.

      Delete

Post a Comment