Skip to main content

Cooking Day

Yesterday I started to turn the roast veg into meals. 

First on the list was orzotto, not much veg goes into this, but it's very hearty due to the green lentils and quinoa, the miso gives it a nice savoury flavour. We'll serve this with a drizzle of hemp oil and maybe a blob of houmous or something. 



After




Next was the base for a shepherdess pie, I used fresh veg for this



This will be frozen in two portions and topped with fresh mash when the time comes. The yeast extract really makes this, I can't stand the stuff on its own (although I do really like Marmite crisps) but when it's cooked into a sauce it just leaves a nice savoury flavour behind. 

After




Along came curry


This turned out to be very hot, from the Kashmiri chillies and very dry in taste, but I like it that way for a change. 

After




Finally for today I made a variation of my squash and butterbean pasty filling to make a kind of crumble. We have a couple of packs of naan in the pantry so I'll blitz one pack up and use that to top the stew



After




There's still quite a lot of roast veg left, some of the parsnips will be reheated tonight for with our roast everything else will be frozen for another day. 



Comments

  1. All look delicous.I don't know why shepherd/shepherdess pie isn't an American thing-It sounds good whenever I read about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't see why it wouldn't be popular, it's great for cooler weather.

      Delete
  2. Love the look of the pasty filling, that would make a nice change. I am not a fan of marmite either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess I stole the idea for the pasty filling from a bakery we love. I used to buy the pasties all the time but then decided to try it for myself, I do still treat myself to cinnamon rolls and other lovely things from the bakery though!

      Delete
  3. So many vegan offerings there! Thank you. I think for sure I could make the shepherdess pie and my in laws will more than likely eat it. Very pleased with this bit of inspiration! Thank you!!!! What with that and the nut plait, that is the weekend when they are here taken care off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The shepherdess pie is delicious, it's my version of a really old Weight Watchers recipe. Hope you have a nice time with your inlaws.

      Delete
  4. I've just read this post and I'm starving I could eat any or all of it lol I adore cooking and eating and that all looks yum as well as nutritious and you've given me some ideas so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The hardest part for me has been deciding what to eat first! We like treats as much as the next person, but I do try to pack as much nutrition into our meals as possible, without breaking the budget.

      Delete
  5. I would love all of those things. The roasted vegetables would really bump up the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started roasting vegetables just for convenience, lazy cook that I am, but it really works for me, and you're right it does add something to the flavour.

      Delete

Post a Comment