Wednesday, 12 October 2016

All About Me!

Thank you for your questions, should anyone else like to ask me something then feel free. 

The first question today is from Marlene

Where would you want to retire to?



This is such a great question as where we live now is a place many people choose for their retirement, if we don't stay at the coast I think we will almost certainly end up in a city. I have a couple of answers a probable and a dream scenario. 

If money were no object (and assuming we are healthy etc) we would very much like to have a flat in the Barbican complex in London (Grade II listed). 



As we are in the land of dreams I would choose to live in Speed House which is one of the terrace blocks rather than a tower. The reasons for this choice are lots of practical things like being connected to places, lots of people around, near to a cinema, theatre, library etc. Others are more... concrete


As with all Brutalist buildings, it's not for everyone but I love it (architects - Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, structural engineers - Arup & Partners. Lots of nice pictures in a Dezeen article here and lots of details about the various aspects of Barbican life at Barbican Living here.

As I am not a millionaire I think we are more likely to end up somewhere like Manchester, again as it's well connected, lots of things going on, galleries, trams to get about, good food, lots to learn etc. 


And I would get to spend lots of time around Manchester Oxford Road station which is a very beautiful Grade II listed building and it's so lovely to step out of there and into the action (architects R Headley and M. Glendinning, 1960). I totally understand why people retire here but I think we might like to be in the thick of things a bit more when we're older. 

Question two is from RachelRadiostar

What would be your last meal on death row?

Hmmmm, I think I would go for a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge sandwich, some really nice bread probably ciabatta with smoked tofu, chestnut puree, stuffing, cranberry chutney, coleslaw and roast squash, followed by coconut and cherry almond milk ice cream.

Now I'm hungry, but thankfully have no desire to be anything other than a law abiding citizen. 

Finally for today a question from the brains behind one of my absolutely favourite blogs an exacting life

Besides They Might Be Giants - what other bands (an music generally) do you like, and what bands have you seen play in the last couple of years?

They Might Be Giants is indeed my favourite band, and I am a big fan of New Wave in general so I enjoy The Go-Go's, Devo, Violent Femmes, B52s etc. In the car we listen to a lot of Arctic Monkeys, The Smiths, REM, The Black Keys and all that kind of stuff.

Here's a song I like to sing to Dan 



In the past couple of years along with others I've seen TMBG twice, The Levellers, Two Door Cinema Club, lots of local bands, Philip Henry and Hannah Martin (a very brief flirtation with folk music). Earlier this year we saw Bill Ryder-Jones who I love love loved!!! We saw Eagulls a couple of weeks ago too, that was a lot of fun. We're going to see Super Furry Animals in December *yay* and that's all I can think of for now!




16 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking my question! Arctic Monkeys are one of my favourite bands ever. We are going to see Two Door Cinema Club next month. And I am excited for you getting to see Animal Collective! PS - Rom watches the Rig Rundown on YouTube for Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys repeatedly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy the gig, I thought they were excellent, it was a really young audience when we saw them so there was an amazing energy in the room.

      I will take a look at the Rig Rundown, thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers to these questions. It's interesting what questions may be thrown up when you ask for some, quite a selection there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I didn't know if anyone would ask anything or what the questions might be but I have still been surprised by the ideas people came up with.

      Delete
  3. I am retired and we moved from California to the coast of Georgia to do it. But if money were no problem we'd have a cottage in the Cotswolds with good train connections to London. Love REM, the B-52's, and the Smiths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for great music!

      The Cotswolds are very beautiful I can imagine lots of peace (and visitors) living there.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, very interesting xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to get to know a little more about you. Where would you like to go on holiday if money were no object?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's been fun. That's a really good question, I'm not a holiday person so I'll have to really think about that.

      Delete
  6. Great blog post. I've just done the city to country move. Lived in Salford and Manchester all my life and I was living in a listed building in Manchester (Appleby Lodge) but I traded my flat there for a move to the Peak District. I still work in Manchester though so don't feel too cut off! I love TMBG too. Saw them in Manchester a couple of years ago for the first time since the 80's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks.

      I think we were probably at the same gig in Manchester, at the Academy when Nanobots was first out.

      I love the idea of having the mix of working in the city and escaping out to the peace of the Peak District. When we go out and about we like to visit nice busy places but I do call this our seaside bolthole where we escape from the noise!

      Delete
  7. That ice cream sounds DEEEEELUCIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a shame it doesn't exist really! I'll have to make it myself I think.

      Delete
  8. love the might be giants song - long time lurker :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, hi, thank you for leaving a comment. I love that song and it does remind me of myself!

      Delete