Skip to main content

A Year of Noticing, Month One

On 25th September I decided to start noting down everything we buy.


The first step was to find a book to keep a note of everything we bought, Dan got on board very quickly. I had a part used project book in the junk drawer, so no need for something new and started to note down some of the things I knew I wanted to monitor - toiletries, clothes, books and magazines etc then it was just a matter of waiting until I needed to buy something!

After discussing it further with Dan we decided to track everything, he's keeping an eye on petrol and I'm noting down everything else. October was a good month to start as we had a lot to buy and quite a few things planned so we knew the numbers would be scary - and they are!

Dan's mum was 60 so we spent a lot on gifts and things for her, we spent as much on eating out as we did on groceries! And as for the clothes spend, well that was a lot, but it included a winter jacket for Dan and bras for me - none of which are bargain items. I'm happy with what we did this month and what we've learned, it makes saving money next month very straightforward! We haven't overspent but we could have done without a surprise trip to the vet (for many reasons), and one of the rings on the hob has stopped working. 

We have the bonus £25 worth of Nectar vouchers that we won the other week, so we have over £30 in total, We're going to hang onto these for a while, we need to think about the best way to use them. 

Comments

  1. Such a good idea to write it all down. Its something we started a couple of weeks ago. What is incredible we have noticed the price rise on so many projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't really moderated our spending at all, even though I did think "do I really want to write this down?" when I thought about buying one or two things!

      I think this will be an excellent pricebook - especially if (dare I say it) the Brexit price rises do happen, comparisons will be interesting to say the least.

      Delete
  2. I just used all my Nectar points on ingredients for Christmas Cake and Puddings and a birthday gift for someone. Check out the special Double Up offer which is coming in November [I found out about the day AFTER I had spent £35 worth of points!!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, I didn't know anything about Double Up, we only started shopping at Sainsbury's this year.

      Delete
  3. I know tracking everything is key to figuring out money holes but I/we haven't been disciplined enough. Good job and good luck in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There have been a couple of occasions where it's been difficult to track, especially markets etc where there's no receipt, but that's one of the many good things about smartphones.

      It's a really interesting experiment. We did one many years ago when we needed to slash spending and pay off our debts, but haven't really done it since and never with the aim of continuing for a full year.

      Delete
  4. Keeping track of everything sure will help you plug any holes in your spending and give you an excellent start to making a budget. October, November, December and June are our scary months for spending. I have managed to hold the line for this month though so I am pretty proud of myself.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. We have a couple of months where the birthdays and other expenses just keep on coming so I know how you feel.

      It's been really interesting and we've found it useful to find areas to save but also areas where we could expand the budget a little, you can read that as "I'm fed up of Dan wearing a pair of enormous jeans"!

      Delete
  5. We all get scary months sometimes. This seems like a great idea to do!

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the gift it was a pretty regular month, but there are still places to tighten up. It's a good thing to do every now and again. We're doing it for waste management purposes as well as financial reasons which makes it useful.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like my kind of project! Hope the pets (bunnies?) are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you must have inspired me yet again.

      The bunnies are well, thank you.

      Delete
  7. What a good idea to see just where the money goes and how the prices change over the year and from place to place.
    You have beautiful hand writing
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's nice to be doing so much writing rather than just typing at the moment.

      It's so interesting to see where the money goes, I'm starting to see patterns already. "Be prepared" needs to be my motto.

      Delete

Post a Comment