Friday, 9 September 2016

The Art Of Walking

I promise this is my last post about our weekend away (unless you really want to know what we packed!) 

On Sunday we walked.

Past Lambeth Palace, over Vauxhall Bridge, through Belgravia to the V&A to see the Ove Arup exhibition (half price with the Art Pass, the Georgia O'Keeffe was reduced entry too). If you feel so inclined the Ove Arup exhibition is brilliant, it's a small space but crammed with information about the man, the company and the buildings, especially Sydney Opera House and the Pompidou, Paris.

We shared a drink in the ridiculously gorgeous cafe



Then started walking again, through the courtyard and out



Up into Hyde Park, to see the Serpentine Pavilion (I stroked a gorgeous little dog here), out onto Hyde Park Corner after snapping Jacob Epstein's Pan



Up Piccadilly, making a special stop at Caffe Nero to see Horse and Rider by Elisabeth Frink. Anne at Frayed At The Edge shared some photographs of another version of this in Winchester. 



After so much art we needed to cool off, where better than Soho? Could we pass up the chance to visit a vegan ice cream parlour? I have read so much about Yorica! and it didn't disappoint. Rice milk-based ice cream, shakes or fro-yo in loads of flavours, with a huge choice of toppings, what more could I ask for? 



Dan went for one scoop chocolate orange, one scoop blackcurrant, topped with chocolate brownies and chocolate chips. I chose passion fruit, and my favourite flavour of anything - violet, plus chocolate brownies. Both topped off with a selection of free sprinkles from the self-serve sprinkle bar. Oh yes! 

We walked back past the John Snow pub so Dan could tip his hat to the man that started his interest in research, and as luck would have it, what should we find across the road?



That was our evening meal on the train sorted!

Fortified we headed off to find our final piece of public art, The Spirit of Electricity by Geoffrey Clarke which is just opposite St Martin's Theatre - home of The Mousetrap.



What a corker!

It was time to start heading back to Euston, so we strolled up, taking in the architecture, old and new, past UCL when we agreed we could squeeze in a bit of one more thing, so we nipped into the Wellcome Collection to the States Of Mind exhibition, all about the various facets of consciousness. It was nice to come full circle and end up thinking about synesthesia again as it featured in the O'Keefe exhibition, which by now seemed a very long time ago! I treated myself to a book about Nikola Tesla who I have been increasingly interested in after hearing this song. Just time to get across the park, into the station and start our journey home.

What could improve this already fantastic weekend? Opened the post when we got home, Dan had a tax refund! 

22 comments:

  1. I thought that horse and rider looked familiar! I've seen the Winchester one! Vegan ice cream, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were three Horse and Rider cast, I don't know where the third is.

      The ice cream was so good! I really want an ice cream maker now.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you gadgets a lovely weekend. I enjoyed reading each post and wish I could plan a London weekend soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fantastic. I don't think we'll make it back for quite some time so I'm glad we saw as much as we did.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very cultured weekend. Where exactly is that Veggie Pret? Sounds interesting. The cafe at the V&A is wonderful. So pleased you had a good weekend here. You did more cultural things in one day than we probably do in a year. Having said that, we're off the Royal Academy tonight, to see the new Hockney Exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw lots of ads for the Hockney exhibition, hope you enjoyed it.

      As you may have guessed there wasn't much time on Sunday to be spontaneous, but it was worth it.

      The Veggie Pret is on Broadwick St. right opposite the pub. It was originally a pop up, then it extended the opening, finally this week it became permanent. I always buy lots when we visit as our closest is in Manchester.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely walk and I can't believe that is a cafe, gorgeous, those ice creams look amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just over 10 miles, so it was a good walk, but we saw lots. The cafe is amazing isn't it!

      I've been hearing about the ice cream all summer, there was no way I was going to miss out!

      Delete
  5. What a packed and interesting weekend and very colourful ice-creams. Tax refund too - what luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention! Lots of wonderful things to see and do ....... and I think I drooled all over my laptop when I saw the ice cream!
    Have a good weekend, Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so happy you shared the Winchester photographs!

      The ice cream was so good, maybe even better as we can't get products like that all the time.

      Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you have had a fabulous time! I liked the Wellcome Collection- it was really good. The vegan ice-cream place so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Well worth the tiredness!

      Dan has been visiting UCL quite a bit for work purposes, so he'd been keeping an eye on the Wellcome Collection. I'm so glad he did, it was just a shame we only had a short time there.

      Delete
  8. That vegan ice cream looks amazing - love how creamy it looks haha (think vegan ice cream can look a little dry sometimes!)

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there's one brand that is a bit like the super cheap ice creams you can buy. Like anything, the more demand there is the more innovation there is.

      Delete
  9. I wonder how many people walk straight past the amazing things you have captured in photos on your travels. So much beauty to behold is only we take the time to stop and look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots! I seriously think that some people thing Horse And Rider was put there by the coffee shop owners, we received some odd looks when we were photographing that.

      When we were looking at one of the others people stopped to ask what we were looking at, they were really surprised to learn these pieces are listed works of public art!

      Delete
  10. Looking at the pictures you had a lovely weekend soaking up all that art and architecture. You must have had a great time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we did. I'm not really a fan of going away on holiday, but I'm glad we saw the things we did.

      Delete
  11. Lovely art and architecture. You must have had a great time.☺

    ReplyDelete