Thursday, 15 September 2016

Tarnished Reputation

Yesterday Mum shared some pictures of her shiny brass, and again I was inspired to face up to something I'd been avoiding.

Whenever I return home I hurry inside as quickly as possible, as the area around the front door is awful. The door is in desperate need of painting, the surface is uneven and the paint peeling, and as for the door furniture...

Chris and Holly didn't use all up all the lemons in their g&t so I set to work this morning. I now realise first thing in the morning is not the best time to do this as it means having to discuss matters with all the neighbours!


This picture is very flattering to the letterbox, it looked far worse in reality! I'd already made a start on the right hand side at this point. 

I rubbed and rubbed, it took quite some time but eventually I made some progress


I'll give it another go at some other time, but this will do for now. Not exactly shiny, but not totally embarrassing! This spring cleaning is addictive, I sense a trip to the hardware shop for some black paint is in my future. 

12 comments:

  1. What an amazing difference, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty impressive with just something from the fridge isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that's a real difference!! There are so many shaming issues in my house that I need to sort out. Like sweeping up the rose petals and leaves in the front garden.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed. I'm looking around for things to do now.

      Delete
  3. I'm very impressed. Remember - every Sunday is 'clean the brass' day. Grandma and Mum are now watching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon juice is OK, but really you can't beat a good old-fashioned tin of Brasso (even if your hand do smell for the rest of the day!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, but at 7.30 yesterday morning I only had a lemon and my enthusiasm!

      Delete
  5. The letter box looks nice and clean. Great job.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing transformation with just a lemon. When I was at collage we cleaned the copper pans with lemon and salt.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, always good to use a traditional method!

      Delete