Thursday, 1 September 2016

Look Away Zero Wasters

Oh my goodness, we have just had the most expensive shopping trip in living memory. It's also a packaging nightmare, this is a cost of going away and having someone to house sit.


Chris and Holly enjoy a gin and tonic, so we bought them a bottle to say thank you. I did not know how much gin costs! Wow. We also bought them a couple of chocolate bars, cheese, marg, and muffins as requested and a couple of other things to tide them over. We also did our normal shopping, which on this occasion involved quite a few non-food items. We also bought a ridiculous amount of noodles, I have no explanation for that. 

There is nothing that annoys me more in the being a woman* realm than hair removing. I can get blades, or I can get razor head things but I can't ever seem to get the right refill blade for the right blade stick. So wasteful before I even think about the amount of packaging. I'm sure there are alternatives but they all seem either expensive or painful, or furry. All suggestions that are not an epilator are welcome.

I spent a whopping £102.76, but as Dan said it's a one off and if we didn't supply treats for Chris and Holly then we would take them for a night out or a meal to say thank you which would cost as much as a bottle of gin and a few other things. I did buy some yellow stickered mushrooms and use a £2 voucher which made all the difference.** 

I'm just going to enjoy my watermelon, make some summer rolls and just try not to think about it!


*obviously there are more annoying things, but I'm rarely thinking about them when I'm shopping 

**tongue is in cheek here

14 comments:

  1. I always buy way too much whenever we have people to stay, in order to cover all bases and lots of the things never get eaten, so we end up eating it all ourselves after our guests have gone. It really annoys me, but as it's my own fault for trying too hard, I can't blame anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my brother will eat it all! The treats are just very expensive, the "Waggon Wheel" alone is £2.50, but he loves them, so why not? I bought things like houmous that we usually make ourselves, if there's any of that left we can have it when we get back on Sunday evening - it will lessen the temptation of a takeaway.

      In terms of the fresh stuff, I'm going to process lots of that today so we have meals for next week and everything is ready to go.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I forgot to say. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am exceptionally excited now.

      Delete
  3. I use a Venus razor. Any of the heads fit the handle that I have, so I just buy whichever are on offer at the time that I need them. My best buy was a pack of unopened blades bought from a carboot sale for 10p! I've found that the blades last for ages, which means that it's probably quite cost effective, and the blades are much more comfortable on my skin than some of the cheap ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10p is beyond a bargain!

      I know what you mean about some of the cheaper blades, thank you for the tip about Venus I'll take a look at them next time I'm out.

      Delete
  4. I'd also say that women's razors are way overpriced. I spent £11 on three razors last week! Extortionate!

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with the depilation problems. also, why do they charge more for pink disposable/refillable 'lady' razors than for identically shaped black/grey/blue 'man' ones. I am very happy with the Phillips Bikini Perfect I got about 8 years ago. It has a shaver, trimmer and epilator, and is rechargeable/cordless. I thought I'd never use the e. part, but found that actually I do get on better with it than I expected. They've changed the design now, but it looks quite similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The price difference is a disgrace. I shall have a look at the Bikini Perfect, sounds promising. I do have an epilator but it's terrifying, maybe more modern ones are better and sound less like a chainsaw.

      Delete
  6. Sadly, being a gorilla in my natural form I gave to shave my legs. Mostly I keep costs down by using the HG's razors. But I do look out to buy the 'better' razors and I find Wlkinson Sword better than the Venus ones, when they are on a good offer - often half price with extra heads and stock up. I use hair conditioner too instead of shaving foam. Works as well! I gave tried self waxing but am too much of a wuss to do a good job! A few more weeks and I'll be letting them go all feral as the shorts will be put away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know just what you mean about the end of shorts weather!

      Thanks for your input I'll take a look at that brand, thanks for the tip about conditioner too.

      Delete
  7. I shave my legs and underarms every day when I'm in the bath. It only takes a few seconds and I use one of DH's disposable razors. The razors can last a long, long time when using this method to sharpen them.
    http://lifehacker.com/5502841/extend-the-life-of-your-razor-blades-with-your-forearm
    xx

    ReplyDelete